1998 Explorer XLT cutting the rear quarters | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer XLT cutting the rear quarters

sandrat84

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
I am in the process of having a rear bumper fabricated with the help of a friend. I plan to unbolt the rear chrome plastic trim and cut the rear fenders. Is there any tips or tricks to this or is it as straight forward as it seems?
FB_IMG_1475683369006.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not done this yet but I will as soon as I do my SAS.

It would be nice to see how different people have done it before attaching. But I assume you would want to use a whizzer (cutoff wheel) and cut just below you final height so you could roll the edge but what do I know.

I'm going to attempt this in the next week or two. Ill post pics then

I trimmed mine with a Dremel tool years ago. If I was going to do it again, I would have left about an inch over where I wanted and rolled it over to get rid of the sharp edge.

Hey Jonathan, I see you made your way over here. This is a great place to learn about all you could want to know about repairs, maintenance and mods. Two timingTom is also in Colorado and the baddest Explorer I've seen in Colorado. Check out his build thread of you haven't already, entertaining and educational. Great guy to wheel with too. We gonna squeeze in one more Tom? I believe Paul from FR4X4 may be doing pierson south and Johnny's park not next weekend but the one after.

Pic of mine, easy to do. Cut the metal with a cut off wheel and used a utility knife to cut the plastic.
Rear%20Bumper%201%20%282%29-M.jpg

Now with latest bumper
FullSizeRender-M.jpg

Back