1998 Explorer XLT Stalled Out PLEASE ANSWER | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer XLT Stalled Out PLEASE ANSWER

UnseatedPanic

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville ,SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Help about to take this truck to FL for Family trip.

This truck has 194000miles on it and today it stalled out on me during normally driving. I was able to get it started drove it parked it was leaving work and it had a very rough idle it died again.

Anyone that has had the same problem please answer.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been through this a few times this year, each time a different cause.

Most recent case (Explorer) was a combination of a clogged fuel filter and a missing vacuum hose

Before that (Suburban), the positive battery cable came loose, which I guess caused all kinds of problems for the engine management system who was looking for that steady +12V.

I've had similar symptoms from a dying/dead fuel pump.

On another case, a bad set of spark plug wires was sending spark everywhere but into the cylinders.

Obviously, what you need to do is get from all of the possible causes of your symptoms down to the real cause. Here's how I'd probably start:

1) Look under the hood for anything obvious. Missing vacuum line, uncapped vacuum port, any loose connections to the MAF, TPS or other sensors, the PCM, coil pack, etc.

2) I'd almost certainly put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see if fuel delivery was up to spec.

3) I'd probably put a scanner on it and check for codes (and pending codes) to see if there were any clues. I might even check the PID's to see if there were any sensors obviously out of range.

4) If you can get it to start, listen for vacuum leaks, check for spark leak.

And then see where I went from there.

Thanks I will try this tomorrow.. Anybody else please send back

Did it stall when it was idling (or when you were trying to hit the gas from idle), or while you were already at a higher (than idle) rpm?

How about the idle air control valve? It electronically controls the idle speed, and often gets clogged up. You can buy a new one (like $50 or something, any auto parts store), or just take yours off and clean it. Its certainly easy enough to take old off to see if its dirty, to rule this out or not.

On the 4.0 SOHC it resides on the top, center of the motor, on the intake, under that plastic '4.0' cover. Remove the cover, the IAC valve is held on by two hex bolts, with maybe an 8 mm head. Its metal and plastic, kind of a horizontal cylinder with an electrical plug on it. the gasket can be resued if you're careful.

If its at all dirty, you can use throttle body cleaner (spray can from any parts store) to clean it. If its really gunked up you may need to use a wire or something the knock out the big stuff first. Clean it good, let the cleaner evaporate, then reinstall. May have to readjust your idle speed afterwards (know it may be too high). That is done by a screw at the throttle butteryfly. Just look for where the throttle cable connects, then you'll find the little screw that prevents the butterfly from closing completly. That adjusts the idle.

Forgive me if I'm being too detailed, I know you need to get this addressed fast, and I don't want you to have to waste time asking for more detail if any of this is new for you. There are other writeups on this forum, maybe with pictures, if you need more info.

I had this happen at 123k (now at 176k). I had a misfiring piston.. Basically just needed a tune-up, everything was fine after that..

EDIT: I didn't get a 'check engine' light on when this happened.

Sounds like a fuel pump-fuel filter ( low fuel pressure ) issue to me-

Check the puel pump relay-wiring and pump

When you first switch the key on, there are several things to be aware of which will help troubleshoot this-
first, you should here a motor running for about 2-3 seconds near the passenger rear tire-this is the fuel pump "priming" the system
Try several on off cycles with the key-listen closely as the pump primes each time. If you catch it not priming-give the fuel pump relay a whack. If this causes the pump to prime-then you have a bad relay.

you should also see the "check engine" light on steady, with the key switched on, ( engine not running)

here is a layout of the relays and fuses. Check all fuses also--

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180814&highlight=power+layout

i agree with jtsmith.. without actually being there to see it myself it sounds like it is definitely a fuel supply problem being either a failing fuel pump, clogged filter, the relay or a combination of the three..
most likely the fuel pump though if it died while you were driving it..

for some reason the check engine light is not always set when you have this problem .. there are often codes stored in the computer that can be found, but they dont always illuminate the light.

Have you checked the fuel pressure?

How old is the fuel filter?

Back