1998 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer XLT

Hey guys, I already made a build thread but I dont feel like keeping it up seeing as how nobody commented on it and I haven't posted on it in several months.

Anyways, I've decide I'm going to make another one starting from we're I'm at right now and post what I do and what not.

The truck is a 1998 Ford Explorer XLT with the 5.0, 4 door, leather seats, 2wd

What ive done so far:
Grill and header
Wheel caps
Tt and auto zone shackles
New fog lights
Back up lights
2 new tear drop wheels
New tires (wheels and tires haven't been mounted yet)
Painted the grey plastic black
Cb with whips on my taillights
Painted radio bezel silver
Painted cup holder silver with black inserts
One 10" sub underneath the back seat
A cheap aftermarket deck
Re-upholstered the center console
Fixed my exhaust leak
New battery terminals
Steering wheel cover
Front seat covers
Going to get some camo material and redo my headliner and center console and then have my mom make me a back seat cover using the camo that's left

Anyway that's what I've done from the time I got her to today! I will post pics when I get my new battery for my laptop (won't stay charged for 5 minutes) hopefully ill get that tonight! It says its out for delivery :) let me know what you think and if you have any questions as to how I did something just ask me! Comments are always appreciated!

Battery got here earlier than i thought
Time for pics!
Overall pic
IMG_0830_zps15d8cd99.jpg

Shackles
IMG_0831_zps075603fa.jpg

Where i put my cb, new deck and the bezel
IMG_0833_zps16f5d3f1.jpg

Cup holder painted
IMG_0834_zpsaab5b7ec.jpg

Steering wheel cover, seat covers and center consol cover
IMG_0836_zps9e1b7167.jpg

Arrow antenna, dont laugh at my Jack-In-The-Box thing haha
IMG_0837_zps351e7653.jpg

IMG_0838_zps5c37dabd.jpg

Showing where i painted the trim black, stickers, and whips
IMG_0839_zps6c14679d.jpg

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did some work today. Got my sub rewired and managed to get a spare speaker from a friend out if his ranger so I wired it up and stuck it in the center console, kinda like it there! Also got my CB completely hooked up, real happy with it, was able to pick up about 4 miles away (friends house, they have a home cb). I guess that's it, haven't really had time to do much, ie being sick and having school. Hopefully ill get some pics of my cb and sub tomorrow! Any questions or comments are always appreciated!

Got a few more things. I was helping a buddy clean out his shop and he had some speakers, lights and a deck that he didn't want so I snatched them up. As far as I know all the speakers and lights work, don't know about the deck.

The speakers are JVC
2 bass
2 mids
And 1 sub (10 inch)

The lights are just spot lights that he had mounted in the outside of his shop, they are SUPER bright, thinking about making a mount for my mirrors and putting them on there like the cops. I got 4 lights in all so 2 on the mirrors and 2 on my front bumper or roof rack, idk yet

And the deck is a Sony Xplod CDX-GT22W radio, I like the look of it, hopefully it works fingers crossed!

Ill try to get pictures of everything tomorrow so you all can see what I'm talking about!

Pics!

The deck
IMG_0960_zpsbe5023e1.jpg

CB and current Dual deck
IMG_0958_zpsddd21277.jpg

10 Inch home sub
IMG_0957_zps59e1f710.jpg

New speakers!
IMG_0956_zpsf5c29eca.jpg

And last but not least the lights, my favorite!
IMG_0953_zps5ff349db.jpg

I hooked up the speakers and they sound AMAZING, might have to make a clip of them playing and post it. The deck works but the faceplate doesn't :( $10 on Ebay though! The lights are bright as crap, test wired them in on my fogs and they are brighter than my brights!

Got alittle snow today I decided to get a few pics and drift around. My dad got kinda mad because I trenched the yard...oops!

C8-751B27F700E0-16950-0000162D2661C99D_zpsc16220c8.jpg

8D-CD5A0C24BA79-16950-0000162D1DE4733B_zpsf540252d.jpg

looking good! how are those vatozone shackles holding up? i was thinking of getting some before i head to gulches next month just for the extra ground clearance

looking good! how are those vatozone shackles holding up? i was thinking of getting some before i head to gulches next month just for the extra ground clearance

Thanks! And their doing great! I got about 1.5 inches outta it but that's because my leafs are weak, you should be able to get about 2 inches out of it

Dang it's been cold! I finally got our garage all cleaned out and got her in so I could replace my sparkplugs and starter. I was just checking wires and whatnot and noticed that my plastic fan blade was cracked
86-A4723A32D19E-27071-00001FE38F6B7A3E_zpsef7fddf6.jpg

Looks like its time to get a metal one!

So I get all the plugs off only to find out that they were replaced 4,000 miles ago and their E3 sparkplugs. Why did I just spend $20 on new E3 plugs! So we go ahead and put the new ones in and toss the old ones an now it runs better than ever! Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I could do under the hood to make my 5.0 breath better and perform better? Thanks!

Did a little more work, just mainly touch up stuff. Found out that liquid wrench works wonders on faded trim pieces! Put some on my mirror casings and...DANG! They look brand new! Here is a pic of the door panel things, the left side is with liquid wrench and the right side is without

B0BA-A7B7400D46AB-617-00000052B2E8685B_zps31b23087.jpg

I will defiantly be putting this on ALL of my faded trim pieces on my Ex and my dads Silverado!

Did another project for the interior. First was repaint the radio bezel, second was add a new monster sticker, third was to mount my light switches

D65-DC2E6B63E96E-2085-00000155B00320AB_zps61fc45f9.jpg

Fresh paint!
F38-9C21ECEDB085-2085-00000155B8A3C52A_zpsd1ec9e7e.jpg

New sticker!
0D3-746876509478-2085-00000155BF516846_zpsaaad3913.jpg

Holes drilled to mount the switches
8DC-3A9104B5D053-2085-00000155C63052C0_zpsfd7c86a9.jpg

Switches mounted!
DB0-F51A42811DDA-2085-00000155D393CA42_zpsef3ff1c3.jpg

How they were held in place

For the paint I used Krylon Metallic Brilliant Silver, great stuff, easy to spray on and drys pretty quick. For the screws I used some half inch long silver screws, 6 of them and drilled the holes 3/8 so they would fit tight

Today was just do random crap day I guess!

Organized my cargo area and made a place to hold all of my rags that I have laying around

Organized finally! Now I can open the rear hatch without crap falling out!
6E4-FD4D172C6454-3693-000001B0CF014E2C_zps3dde8ca6.jpg

And the spot I used to hold my rags. Just used a red towel and used electrical tape to hold it on, worked pretty well and I can atleast hold some stuff in that spot now
D6B-5F1D9EC78569-3693-000001B0D43C18A3_zps163586c8.jpg

Seats are too mainstream!

A0-6F2F0EDCD3E8-10561-0000067225E360FD_zpse4242c5a.jpg

Hehe looks like its time to do a full cleaning! I'm debating on taking out the carpet and power washing it to get it as clean as possible, but I doubt it...it's to much work and I'm lazy :rolleyes I'm hopefully gonna build a custom center console so I can have my CB in it and have a bigger storage area in the console

Been planning on pulling the interior out of the eddie, what size torx bits are the seatbelt and slider brackets? Progress is lookin good man keep it up!

Been planning on pulling the interior out of the eddie, what size torx bits are the seatbelt and slider brackets? Progress is lookin good man keep it up!

Man...I just took them out but I think the size is a 10 or 11 mm. Let me go check

Yep they are 10mm and for seat belt slider I have no idea, it's a big hex though (I never check the sizes just see what fits). You'll be surprised at how much crap you'll find in the carpet an how new it looks where nothing spills at!

Not in my XLT lol. We used it as a work truck for our masonry business, so the once tan carpet is all sorts of different colors lol. I'm thinking about spreading it out on my garage floor and running a rug doctor over it lmao.

Not in my XLT lol. We used it as a work truck for our masonry business, so the once tan carpet is all sorts of different colors lol. I'm thinking about spreading it out on my garage floor and running a rug doctor over it lmao.

Wow man, mine looks like they just a couple kids loose with coffee and cranberry juice! The only part that hasn't even been touched is under the running boards and the center console! And that's what I'm doing, I'm gonna rig doctor the crap out of it then take it out and take it to a car wash and see why happens

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah. Dude its bad lol. Most of the passenger carpet including under the seats is black. The rear cargo area isn't too bad but still needs a good cleaning, its still got glass imbedded in it from my ex roommate busting out the rear glass, and there's black stuff of the drivers side cargo area from the rear side glass leaking like a siv. the rest of the interior isn't bad if you don't mind small scuffs on the paneling from tools etc and the stitching on the front seats popping. Lol. What do you expect from a work truck? Then again there's still an imprint under the tint on the passenger rear door window from the original window sticker, I'm guessing they didn't thoroughly clean the glass before laying the tint down lmao

Back