• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer XLT

aaapirates

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Having a problem getting the harmonic balancer back into place. It seems that it doesn't fit anymore. I did get it on but had to remove it to put on the water pump with the block casing. Now the balancer will not go on all the way. It's about 1/4 inch away.
Anyone have this problem or know a solution? Maybe I forgot to do something?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull it back off to inspect for burrs or debris, clean the dampener and crank snout real good and give the crank snout a thin film of oil, make sure the key-way is still in proper position. Now would be a good time to install a new front seal while it's apart. Also, make sure your crank timing gear has a "key-way" style gear, if not, the crank timing gear can move out of position of the "dimple" and make installing the dampener difficult.

Will do, thank you very much. I will keep you posted.

974X4,
I pulled it back off. Cleaned everything really good and now it is short by 3/8 inches. Am I missing something?

Can you push in on the crankshaft and then pull on the crankshaft, do you get any noticeable movement of the crankshaft pushing it to the rear of the block, and then pulling it back towards the front?

No. I am going to remove the keyway and see whats up with the alignment. There was a bit of a scratch inside the dampener next to the key groove.

Back