• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer

Braaap Master D

Reaction score
City, State
Barrie, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer
I am new to being a Ford Explorer owner. I just picked up a 1998 4.0L Explorer Eddie Bauer Eddition.... Everything seems to be in great working order and the body is mint... Can any one tell me if there are any potential problems I should be looking for on this specific year.

Cheers

D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good choice of vehicle! I to have a 98' EB and yes there are certain things that will happen.
Since you have a 4.0 you will most likely have tranmission problems down the road (it happens to almost every one of them) thats why I bought a v8 with the better tranny.
You will lose the display on the radio (unless its already been fixed)
over all i think you made a great choice enjoy! I have 182,000 on mine and have loved almost every minute of it!

Since you got it used, I would definitely get the transmission filter replaced and THEN flush it. Ounce of prevention, pound of cure, and all that.
I would also change the lube in the transfer case (it's not hard, takes regular Mercon ATF) and the axles. The Valvoline Qwicky-Lube near me will do the axles for $34.95 each, at that price it isn't even worth my time to do it myself. Change the oil if it looks dirty and you don't know when it was last done, same with the coolant.

Big Daddy,Thanks for the reply... I was looking for the V8 but the price was too good to pass up so I will have to make do with the V6. You mentioned some transmission problems. What Tranny problems should I look for or expect. The unit has a cooler and other than some off roading I will be towing a two bed snowmobile trailer and occassionally a 18-20' boat and trailer. I know the V6 isn't the best for this but its not going to be long distances.

Also you mentioned the radio display. It already has happend. Is there a fix for this. The radio work does work but just the display is not on. I will eventually replace it with an upgraded after market radio but was just wondering in the interm.

Also JohnnyO thanks for the maintenace Advice. I'll keep you guys updated if anything comes up.

Cheers

Everyone seems to have different problems with the trannies. With my last Explorer the problems started all of the sudden with a no shift situation . From a standing start it wouldnt shift out of first gear unless i got on and off the throttle to make it shift. I have heard of others that just start slipping and others that have gone completly.
There is a fix for the stereo do a search in here for "radio display" and you will find alot of answers to the problem there is someone in here that will fix it for around $60 or you can buy another one from ebay for around $100. I had mine fixed only because I have the steering wheel controls for the stereo and i didnt want to lose that feature by going with an aftermarket head unit.

I have a 98 XLT and i lost the radio display along time ago. i fixed it by resoldering a wire behing the display board. It went out mabey a month later and it was the same problem so i invested in a new headunit. my advice is not to bother with it.

Those stupid radios. I just scored a '99 Eddie (V8 :D) in November. Radio worked when I test drove, but when blank just after I did the deal. I yanked it out soon after and put in a Pioneer head unit.

FWIW, I never had any issues with that tranny (I've had two Sports with SOHC). Wouldn't hurt to get the pan dropped, filter changed and re-filled. As someone else said, do the transfer case and differentials too. Consider synthetic all around. More expensive, but good stuff.

I have steering wheel controls for the radio. Is there something in a aftermarked head unit that I need to look for so that it would be compatable with those controls.

Cheers

The radio repair is very simple. The power supply board has cold/dirty solder joints that need to be cleaned and soldered properly.

Roy

Back