1998 Explorer_shift indicator repair?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer_shift indicator repair??

bryansr

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer
It looks like the line going to the shift indicator in my instrument panel is broken. Before I start tearing it down, can you get to the end that's inside the indicator to replace this line? If not, any suggestions on where to get the complete indictor assembly? It doesn't look like AutoZone carries it.

Thanks,
Bryan

By broken do you mean literally broken or is it not aligning correctly - which happens with these. That section is separate component and easily removed once you take cluster out - I'm guessing junkyard is your only option - or Ebay.... replace your odometer motor gear while in there as my post shows....other common problem with these gen explorers.
If misaligned ...see thread.... my last post on thread--there's a thumb adjustment wheel (shown with yellow circle around it in post) - you have to remove the bottom plastic shroud and then the metal one under that- under steering column - there's a pic of it here....if it doesn't adjust enough or breaks do my custom shim:
HELP! Started disassebling instrument panel and shift indicator disconnected
*SEE HERE TOO:
Odometer Worm Gear Replacement

It looks like the line going to the shift indicator in my instrument panel is broken. Before I start tearing it down, can you get to the end that's inside the indicator to replace this line? If not, any suggestions on where to get the complete indictor assembly? It doesn't look like AutoZone carries it.

Thanks,
Bryan

Check this vid:

By broken do you mean literally broken or is it not aligning correctly - which happens with these........

Yes, broken. I can see the wire around the hook on the steering column, but it's pulled out of the conduit that goes to the indicator.

I have a spool of kevlar cord, just wondering if I can get to the end that's connected to the indicator to replace it, or if I need to order a complete assy.

Thanks

Back