1998 Ford Explorer 4.0 Valve Cover Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Explorer 4.0 Valve Cover Removal

iepsr10

Reaction score
City, State
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey everyone,

I am new here and looking for a little help. I have a 1998 Ford Explorer that I bought new in 1998. She's been a champ the whole time! But I need to replace the valve cover gaskets.

I have removed the passenger side valve cover and now I am trying to remove the drivers side. I managed to find and remove all the cover bolts but It doesn't seem like I am going to have enough clearance over the valves and between the air intake to remove the cover. So i'm wondering how to remove the air intake? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I can see there are bolts holding it down which are obvious, but my concern is the pipe connecting to it going to the egr valve (or what I think is the egr valve) and how to remove that? It looks like it goes all the way down and connects to the exhuast. Do I need to remove this or can I squeeze the valve cover out somehow? Thank you!

-Paul

Paul, unbolt the pipe from the EGR valve (2 bolts), then withdraw the pipe from the plenum, which is a slide fit with an o-ring.

Regards... Mike

Back