1998 Ford Explorer 4.0L SOHC - No chipped key BS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Explorer 4.0L SOHC - No chipped key BS

priestriver

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer 4.0l
I recently acquired a non-running 1998 Ford Explorer with a 4.0L SOHC for $400. The lady I bought it from said the engine and transmission worked fine until the shifter would not come out of Park. I bought it for a parts car, but would like to get it running. I fixed the shifter problem, but I have no chipped key to start it. Going a bit caveman, I knocked the tumbler out so I could rotate the ignition. The engine now turns over just fine and I jumped the fuel pump relay and hear it running. Of course the theft PATS system is now blocking operation of the injectors (oh, no code 15!), as I have learned by reading the numerous posts on this great forum. Also I see zero pressure on the fuel rail. Yah, I didn't even know what PATS was when I started working on this puzzle. I tried the starting fuel in the intake trick and the engine started right up, but now I am stuck. I read some contradictory information on various posts about what to do next. My goal is to get the engine running, so someone that needs it would be compelled to buy it. Having the transmission operational would be a bonus. My constraint is that I am not able to spend much money on this goal; however I am entertained by solving the puzzle.

So here's my questions: There seems to be three options on the table (correct?). For my particular configuration, would a 1997 PCM module swap get the injections operational, so the engine will run? Those are cheap and I could manage that. There was talk of having the dealer make a key, but that does not seem to viable, given it may cost more than what I purchased the car for. The final option, as I understand it, is to reprogram (?) the PCM, wherein the PATS system is turned off. This sounds expensive, and I don't know how I could have this done. I read somewhere that this is really the only option for my case, is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Norm

Back