1998 FORD EXPLORER 5.0 AWD 4R70W SHUDDER | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 FORD EXPLORER 5.0 AWD 4R70W SHUDDER

shawnwayne42

Reaction score
City, State
ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer xlt
I have a 98 explorer with the 4r70w trans. everything seems to work fine except second gear. When it shifts from first to second it will go to shift hesitate then shift . Its like it has a slight hesitation there is no slipping and all the other gears do just fine, Also sometimes it will shudder in second gear like the t.q. is stating locked ehen it shouldnt. Also if you sit there and put your foot on the brake and shift through the gears when you put it in second it stalls because the t.q. stays locked. This is what I have done so far changed all fluid and filter. Flushed it with a 5 gallon bucket letting it drain into out of transmission cooler line until fresh fluid comes out. Then put some friction modifier in it didnt put whole bottle in but starting to think I should. Does anyone think it might be the t.c.c solenoid or other ideas. Just feel like it isnt the tranny has to be a sensor or something since it is just second gear and none is slipping.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search the forum and google for broken accumulator spring. Very common the 1-2 spring breaks. For me, this caused a hard shift from 1-2. Relatively easy to replace and a cheap repair.

Could be the accumulator spring,
Check the throttle position sensor. It's output is what signals the PCM to command up and downshifting. JUst .5v too high output will make the pcm command downshift, or, hold first gear.

TPS should read < 1v at idle and rise steadily to .4.5v at WOT ( key on engine off) with no spikes. If it jumps quickly from <1v to >2v this could be the issue.

I put the lubegard in I bought it at oreiley`s. I can tell it has helped but also made what the problem is very noticeable. Only second gear is staying locked, shifting and everything else is working good but when in second gear the torque convertor is staying locked. If you put gear selector in second gear it will stall if sitting still. So just in second gear is it staying locked I don't understand this

Back