1998 Ford Explorer Column Gear Shifter Slack | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Explorer Column Gear Shifter Slack

Rooster403

Reaction score
City, State
Lake City, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
Friends,
I recently drove my wife's 1998 Ford Explorer, 4dr, 2wd, Automatic, 5.0 engine, and noticed the column mounted gear shifter had some additional slack between the gear positions. Also, it seemed that the shifter was not locking into place as it previously did; lined up with the digits and numerals, PNRD12. Now, it only has 230K miles on it and has been a terrific reliable vehicle thus far and still works well. However, I would like to address the slackness in the gear shifter. Is this looseness in the column shifter, perhaps a worn bushing or a worn shaft, or perhaps in a cable between the lever and the transmission? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes! Read that thread
There are plastic bushings in the column shifter that get loose and move around
After you fix/replace the bushings you can adjust the orange needle on the trans indicator with a little adjuster wheel under the steering column, I like to do the adjustment with the trans in N

Good luck!

It may also pop-out of park pretty easy with it like that!

Mine popped-out while under it with a slight bump to the cable. The blocks I had at the rear wheels held fine.

Back