For Sale - 1998 Ford Explorer Limited Black V8 5.0 AWD 4X4 conversion 2nd owner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For Sale 1998 Ford Explorer Limited Black V8 5.0 AWD 4X4 conversion 2nd owner

superstang11

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 5.0 AWD
Hello Forum members!

I have been on this forum for a few years now and it's been a great help to me and my car! I figured what best place to sell my car, than the place that helped me so much in making it what it is today!

1998 Ford Explorer Limited 4 door V8 5.0 4x4 (converted from AWD) Black Exterior, grey leather interior, fully loaded, power everything, 166k miles, 2nd owner, everything works great. Ice cold A/c, heater works great, no check engine light, passes smog.

Some background and mods if you care to know:

I bought this 1998 Explorer from the 1st owner. I put around 30k miles on the car over the last 4 years or so. It currently has 166K miles on it. Truck came fully loaded, limited package, AWD, air ride suspension, sunroof, CD changer, sub-woofer, power seats both sides, etc.

I bought the car to commute in to work and after the first week of driving it, the front drive shaft broke. I replaced the drive shaft and drove it for another week and it broke again! Then... I found this forum, and found a new love for explorers!

So, I ended up doing a bunch of mods to the car, all of which I found here besides 1, which I found on the ranger forum. I also changed out a lot of worn parts, seals, weather-stripping, and such. I will try my best to remember everything I updated on the car, but for the most part, if it was worn or broken I replaced it (sometimes even if it wasn't!)

The first thing I did was the 4x4 conversion to solve the AWD driveshaft issue all these cars have, plus I loved the idea of a 2wd v8 on the street and 4x4 low if you are ever in the dirt!!!

Here is the list in no particular order.

DRIVE-TRAIN:

The 5.0 engine starts great and runs strong. Love these engines! Transmission shifts smooth.
I replaced the water pump when I got the car and the fan, fan clutch, serpentine belt, spark plugs, o2 sensors and header gasket.
New fuel pump (100 miles ago).
I added a drop in K&N Filter.
The engine is 100% stock, no exhaust modifications and still passes California smog no problem.

4x4 manual transfer case conversion with F150 complete floor shifter (plastic, rubber, and weather-stripping boot).
New U-joints on both driveshafts.
New front end bushings, including sway bar bushings, ball joints and control arms.
New high carbon rotors and ceramic brake pads all around, including new parking brake pads (1000 miles ago this was done again).
New CV axles from a Ford Ranger (used for warn manual locking hub conversion). This allows true 2WD. The steering wheel feels just like it does when you don't have a front driveshaft connected. Very smooth.
********This was my favorite mod. I found it for some reason on the ranger forum, where the guys were changing out their auto lock hubs to warn aftermarket manual hubs. So I changed over to the ranger front CV axles (direct fit) and purchased the warn aftermarket locking hubs. Everything fits under the stock limited explorer rims and lug nut caps. Can't tell it’s there.
New oil all around, blead the brakes, alignment and new Goodyear tires (Tires have 70% tread left on them). Truck drives smooth and straight. Great gas mileage since 4x4 conversion and the manual hubs. I get about 15-17 city and above 20 on the highway.

I replaced the original air ride suspension shocks because 1 was leaking and not holding air. I also replaced a few of the lines and the T-connector for the air ride suspension in the front. I got the Monroe replacement shocks that still give you the ride height adjustment but you do not get the electronic dampening. Rides great still and the suspension holds air really well and goes up 2 inches almost when you put the car in OFFROAD mode, and self-adjusts when needed.

Exterior:

The paint is black and when I bought it the hood was peeling its clear coat but the rest of the car was still good. I got the hood painted and it blends in pretty well with the car. It has the original paint everywhere else and has not had any major accidents. I replaced the front bumper with a custom off-road bumper I made, but the original was still in good shape with no cracks or accident damage. There are some dings and scratches on the car, but nothing unexpected for a car of this age and miles. All in all it’s still in good shape on the exterior and cleans up really well when washed. The original owner drove over a freshly paved asphalt road many years ago so there is some asphalt on the inside wheel wells that I never got to getting off. I took off most of it and I will try my best to show good pictures of where it is. It is only on the areas where water would kick up if you drove through it slowly.

I added a Class 3 trailer hitch and an in bumper 7 pin trailer connection. I replaced the front grill with a mesh grill and the headlights. It has new bulbs pretty much everywhere including the dash lights, headlights etc. (LED bulbs).

New windshield when I bought the car as there was a crack in the middle from a rock on the freeway. The first owner never fixed it. It was professionally installed.
Slightly tinted windows all around besides windshield.

Custom fabricated off-road bumper with 2 shackle mounts and shackles and 4 fog lights integrated to factory fog light wiring and switch.
2 Off-road Projector headlights behind the grill.

Interior:
I removed the seats, carpet and roof liner to install rattletrapX soundproof and insulating membrane throughout the entire floor and roof (made a huge difference on floorboard noise and vibration).
New black carpet front and back installed after the rattletrapX.
New weather stripping on all doors
New gas shocks for the rear window, rear hatch and hood.
Pioneer AVIC-x920bt navigation head unit with built in GPS, Bluetooth, Touchscreen, Rearview camera, IPOD connection.
The head unit was installed correctly with no cutting of wires. Integrated into the original factory system of the car.
Upgraded the factory amp with a JL audio amp and JL audio subwoofer installed in the original location and box the car came with from the factory.

The front drivers seat has some rips in it (i'll add pictures of this). The rest of the seats are in good condition with no major rips, just the regular wear over the years.

I am sure I am missing some things that I did to the truck but either way it has a lot of new parts and upgrades. Some good and tastefully done modifications. The truck looks and drives like a regular everyday daily driver explorer, besides the front bumper.

I used the truck as my daily driver, 60 miles per day, for almost 2 years until I got a leased car to put miles on so I wouldn't ruin my explorer. It has been my daily I truly love this car as most of us on this forum do. It was always in my head to keep it and park it next to my 1995 mustang GT 5.0 in my garage for a long time. But now, my life changed a bit and so have my needs so I have to let her go. I would hate to see her go to someone who would never appreciate what it is and how much work and effort was put into it. I got a few local offers, but they are all from people looking for just a car to drive around and would really buy anything in decent condition for a few thousand bucks, I rather see it go to someone on here or someone who likes these cars!

I recently acquired a boat that weighs in at about 5000 pounds when it is loaded. The explorer has more than enough power to pull the bolt, but the wheel base and width of the truck is just not comfortable enough to want to tow anywhere far with. So instead of torturing my baby, I decided I needed a truck that could handle a lot more towing and was a bit bigger. I ended up purchasing the big rich step-brother... 2000 Lincoln navigator 4x4. It needed a new transmission so I got it for a great price and currently getting it fixed.

That being said, I don't have the room for the explorer anymore, the navigator works better for what I need now and for our family since we just had a newborn baby boy in December! Let me tell you, you can never have too much room in a vehicle when you have a kid, wow! :) :)
!
I apologize for the long ad, but I am the type that thinks too much info is better than not enough!

Ok well that’s everything I can think of with the car. The history of it, the modifications, repairs, upgrades and reason for selling it. If you have any questions or are interested, feel free to PM me or write on here in case anybody else would like to know also. Thanks for looking!

I will add a lot of pictures tomorrow; I just had to write this ad tonight since I promised the wife I would!!! :p. Any specific picture requests are cool also.

Last thing, it has a clean title in hand and current California registration smog done within the last week.

Ready for a new home...

I am asking $4,000 Or best reasonable offer. I live in the Los Angeles Area.

Thanks again for looking!

Attachments

• 20140405_180133.jpg
    20140405_180133.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 745

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still for sale?

Hello, Just wondering if this Ex was still for sale. Let me know when you get a chance. Thank you
S.

Hello. I recently sold it to a friend that needed an suv for a bit. If you're interested still I can ask them if they would want to sell it.

Yes ask them, Thank you for the reply.

How much are you interesting in paying for it if it is what you are looking for so I can tell them, they said for the right price they would give it up. not sure if that helps. thanks.

sounds like they want to keep it? If they have a number in mind just let me know. Since I'll have to get it shipped to me and that will be a added expense. I'am just looking for a V8 Ex or mounty. Then I saw yours that already had a lot of mods done. It sparked my eye.

they said $3500 i that helps.

Back