1998 Ford Explorer XLT Aftermarket Radio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Explorer XLT Aftermarket Radio

striker24x

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey all,

Sorry if this has been answered before. I am new to the site and still working my way around. I couldn't find anything close to what I needed so I figured I would make a new thread.

As in the title, I have a 98 Ford Explorer XLT and I am working on installing an aftermarket radio due to the stock dying on me. I purchased a single deck radio and the Metra 99-5027 installation adapter kit. I set it up with the pocket on top using the ISO install method. According to my understanding, this doesn't use the DIN cage, but specific ISO brackets instead. So, I went ahead and put everything together, plugged in the wires, and slid the deck into the tray. However, I can't get it to stay in place. It won't "snap" into place and instead the bottom will pop out of place. I can't figure out what I missed. I know the stock radio has a metal piece on each side that locks it into place until the U shaped pins are used on it. This aftermarket radio doesn't have anything like that or a spot for them. I'm at a loss of what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Striker24x

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i wish i could help. i did the same thing but cant recall what i did. i have a single din with a pocket but i put the pocket on bottom.. but i had to do some trimming of the radio bezel to get mine to fit i believe.. i think i glued mine to the bezel or screwed it to the bezel and then put the entire bezel on as a unit..

i wish i could help. i did the same thing but cant recall what i did. i have a single din with a pocket but i put the pocket on bottom.. but i had to do some trimming of the radio bezel to get mine to fit i believe.. i think i glued mine to the bezel or screwed it to the bezel and then put the entire bezel on as a unit..

That might not be a bad idea. I can try to pop the whole front faceplate off to access the entire frame and then figure out how to screw the deck and bezel together. I'll try that out tomorrow.

Use the DIN sleeve that comes with the head unit

I didn't run into this issue with any radio ive ever installed (Sony, JVC, Kenwood, Alpine).

Back