1998 Ford Explorer XLT V6 will not start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Explorer XLT V6 will not start

Pindermd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
The vehicle would start but had a very rough iddle. I had the oil and filter changed, and spark plugs replaced. After that, it would not start. The starter motor turns and it sounds like it will start, but nothing. The Mechanic did a diagnostic and said the coil needed changing. This was done and the explorer still does not start. Now he tells me that I should have an Electro Mechanic check it out. Please help. mdp

Fuel, air, spark at the right time. These three things must be present for an internal combustion engine to run. What are you missing? You will have to determine what is not in the equation before going on. Is the fuel pump working? What is the fuel pressure? Is the air filter plugged? Are you getting spark to the plugs?
Most likely the air filter is NOT plugged. Pull a plug wire to check for spark. If your coil is good, you will get a bright spark. Mine will jump a good inch or better from the coil. You dont need to ask how I found this out, just chalk it up to experience. Did your mechanic check the fuel pressure? Tell us what you dont have, then someone will have some good suggestions for you.

and of course, the other question is... are there any codes?

Back