1998 Ford Ranger XLT (5R55E) - Transmission issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Ranger XLT (5R55E) - Transmission issues

islanti

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Ranger XLT
Hi there ive been lurking this forum for a while and finally registered.

Im curious if anybody else has experienced the same symptoms im about to describe and what they finally did to resolve it ?

I was on a long drive last year, when this started happening suddenly and hasnt went away since.

When the truck gets up to about 80km/hr, the truck will "shake/struggle/bounce" and i have to release the gas pedal to relieve it, then apply gas again to get it to switch to the higher gear.

It always happens. It hasnt gotten better or worse in over a year. My dad's 03 Explorer has a similar issue where it gets stuck in a gear and you have to release the gas pedal to get to the next gear. His has been like that for about 3 years without getting worse or better. So it makes me think an electrical component has failed on both our trucks.

My transmisson seal is also leaking. I replaced it but a month later it starts leaking again. Not sure if related.

So im just in the habit of releasing the gas pedal and reapplying it every time the truck struggles, which i think is when its trying to go from 2nd to 3rd gear.

Im thinking maybe the TPS or range sensor ? I have a multimeter. The o/d light is not blinking and the CEL isnt on.

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would still pull the extended codes and see if there are any.

mine didn't get as bad as yours, but when one of my shift solenoids started to fail, the computer told me exactly which one. Took only a half hour to change and didn't even have to remove the valve body.

The MIL(CEL) is for OBD codes only. Very few transmission codes (if any??) would show up on regular OBD software or trip the check engine light.

Forscan for the PC is free, but I use Forscan Lite on the Android (I think it was a couple bucks). Gives me every extended code in my explorer including access to all the Ford PID's (not just the OBD PIDs).

Getting my winters on next week maybe i can get them to pull some codes for me

Getting my winters on next week maybe i can get them to pull some codes for me

Just make sure they can get the extended codes, not just OBD codes.

I would still pull the extended codes and see if there are any.

mine didn't get as bad as yours, but when one of my shift solenoids started to fail, the computer told me exactly which one. Took only a half hour to change and didn't even have to remove the valve body.

The MIL(CEL) is for OBD codes only. Very few transmission codes (if any??) would show up on regular OBD software or trip the check engine light.

Forscan for the PC is free, but I use Forscan Lite on the Android (I think it was a couple bucks). Gives me every extended code in my explorer including access to all the Ford PID's (not just the OBD PIDs).

I only got PCM DTC P1000.

I have OBDLink and FORScan Lite now. Any recommendations how i could go about diagnosing the transmission ? Any particular sensors i should look at ? And is there a way to monitor which gear youre in with FORScan ?

Hmmm. P1000 is the not ready code. I'm guessing you reset the codes and might have to wait until the PCM throws the code again.

If you look through the PID's for the PCM, you will see one that tells you what gear the transmission is in. You will also find many trans related PID's for which I don't know what to do with them.

Back