• Register Today It's free!

1998 Mercury Mountaineer timing.

spacegrinder

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 merc mountaineer
Hi,i'm new here!I have a problem with a 98 mercury mountaineer 5.0.I replaced the camshaft synchronizor(distributor)and i have the alighnment tool with the piston at top dead center and it is not right.What the heck is going on?I read something about it having to be 10 degrees out of top dead center when it's aligned?I don't know how to get the timing set right.Any info would help.

Try rotating the crank ONE clockwise revolution going slightly past the 0 ( 10 degrees), then anti clockwise to line up the mark to 0 ( this removes any chain slack that might be present) and re install the cam sensor with the alignment tool.

I think you are 180 degrees out of time

98 mercury mountaineer timing

Try rotating the crank ONE clockwise revolution going slightly past the 0 ( 10 degrees), then anti clockwise to line up the mark to 0 ( this removes any chain slack that might be present) and re install the cam sensor with the alignment tool.

I think you are 180 degrees out of time

Hi turtle,thanks for the reply!The problem i have is that top dead center seems to be about 60 degrees past the mark on the harmonic balancer?So i went by tdc and ignored the position of the harmonic balancer.I did also try several other positions with no luck.I will try the chain slack solution.The arrow should point front on the alignment tool?Do you know how far it should turn when you put the assembly in and or if i should rotate it straight after or if i should move it a tooth so it rotates itself straight?thanks-wayne-

Back