• Register Today It's free!

1998 motor swap to a 1992

jamesmp1979

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Is this something possible with out breaking me of all my cash? I have a 1991 Explorer Eddie Bauer Ed. and the head gaskets have gone after 248,000 miles. It has the 4.0 V6 and I have a 1998 Explorer that I bought from a friend for $350 after he rolled it. It has the 4.0 V6 but I not sure if it will bolt up to my trans. or the motor mounts. Does anyone know is this doable? Please let me know.

Thanks

James

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

as long as the 98 has the OHV 4.0l you can do it!
Basically you will use the intakes and sensors from your 92 engine installed on the 98 long block.
The only real difference between the two engines is hte bolt pattern on the flywheel, the 97+ block uses a 8 bolt pattern where your 92 uses 5, but since you have the compete 98 truck this swap should be as easy as replacing an engine.

If the 98 has a auto trans and your 92 has a 5 speed you will need to get the 8 bolt style flywheel, spacer and bolts from Ford, dont worry they are not too expensive.

Here is a thread where I installed a 97 engine into a 95 truck, basically the exact same thing you are looking to do.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156120

If the 98 has a 5 speed trans and your 92 does as well you should consider using the entire 98 drivetrain engine and transfer case.

if the 98 truck you have has the SOHC 4.0L V6 then you are looking at a complete drivetrain conversion, but it can be done
My Buddy Brett installed a 2004 Ranger SOHC 4.0L and 5 speed into his 93 Explorer sport, it was quite a bit of work but the results are *****in, his sport will now give my V8 BII a run for its $$$$

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159001

410Fortune

I make a typo. My truck is a 1991 Explorer. Both mine and the 1998 explorer are autos. All that went on mine was the head gasket. Would it be easier to just swap the heads? Or is that not possible? Also my father is wanting to put the 1998 transmition into his 91 or 92 automatic Explorer. Is that a kinda easy task or a doable task? Or would it be easir to put the whole motor and trans. from the 1998 into my 1991 and give my father my trans? Wow this is getting a bit confussing lol.

Thanks

James

same deal, the 91-92 engines are the same, you can use the 98 long block, I would not replace the heads, I would just pull the 91 engine, set it next to the 98 engine and put your 91 intakes on the 98 block, bolt it back in.
You can simply ignore the cam position sensor in the back of the 98 block, your 91 computer does not need it.

It may be a good time to rebuild your 91 auto as well
the 98 automatic is MUCH stronger, but would require the 98 computer to use it, which is basically converting your 91 truck to a OBD II computer, similar to what I did to my BII, except I went with a V8 drivetrain.
The OBD-I to OBD-II conversion is ALOT of work and wiring

that 98 automatic MUST have the 98 computer to make it work

You can always put the entire 98 engine and trans in your 91, but as I said this is alot of work to make a 91 truck into a OBD-II truck AND the 98 computer will have PATS security making it even more difficult

easiest and cheapest is just to use the 98 long block (engine and heads) into your 91 truck with your 91 intakes and sensors, as easy as a engine swap

swap

I had rebuilt my trans 2 years ago. I only put about 60,000 miles on it. No hardcore 4x4 just work and back.
Thank you for this information. You have been very helpfull. And trust me if I run into a snag or too you should hear from me lol.

Thanks again

James

hey 410 you think i could pay you to convert my OBD1 motor to OBD2? haha jk

If you have the whole thing engine, trans, wiring it would pay-off in the long run to switch to OBDII. Nothing beats OBDII for diagnostics, and tuning.

I am doing a simular swap myself. I am using a 97 explorer with the SOHC and swaping it all to a 91. I bought the 97 for $900 whole (minis tranfercase).

converting to OBD-II is quite a bit or work, and you will have to modify the vehicle itself, my Bronco II required a new pressure sensor in the gas tank in addition to modifications to the EVAP system (fool the computer into thinking it has a canister purge AND a canister vent solenoid). There is ALOT of wiring involved, I also added the OD on/off button and the powered OBD-II diagnostics port under the dash. Of course there are also 2 additional 02 sensors in my exhaust and in my truck I used the power distribution box/system from a 93 Explorer to complete the OBD-II conversion.

Results = 410 VERY HAPPY
88 Bronco II thinks it is 100% a 97.5 Mounty.

Its all covered in my conversion thread, except for details of the wiring I performed, I have over 100 hours in my custom wiring harness, including ALOT of research. I got the wiring 100% correct on the 1st attempt, I attribute this to having built many many conversion harness in the past, if this was my first attempt it is possible my heaad would have exploded trying to understand everything that needed to be done.
It requires ALOT of patience, but as you can see it can be done, despite what many people may think.

Back