• Register Today It's free!

1998 OHV Preventative Maintenance

Nate Tidwell

Reaction score
City, State
Marianna, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport
I've recently acquired a Light Blue 1998 Sport 2wd, automatic, with the 4L OHV for $500. It's has well about 240k on the dash (still about 50k under my daily driver).

Since it's not my primary transportation, I have time to do what I need/want to with it. I worked on it a little bit for the previous owner. Plugs and wires, have less than 1000 miles on them.

I plan to keep the OHV, not swapping, unless I find a really good deal on a 302+trans. I also know that I will replace the fuel filter as I have no clue when or if it's been changed. I might clean the injectors (while removed, that that in tank crap), and will do pcv valve.

Mechanical issues that I know about:
1. Idle at over 1k, whistle from front of intake manifold (vacuum leak)
Should I just do the intake gaskets, or re-gasket the engine entirely?
2. Transmission shudder after about 45mph.
I haven't even looked at the transmission dipstick.
Low fluid can mess up the clutches and contaminate stuff, block passages in the valve body, etc, I know. Should I just do a filter change, maybe torque converter? Or should I just yank it and rebuild it?

Cosmetic issues: dent in passenger door. Roof or seal leak in cargo area. Driver seat motor and padding suck. Obviously, I'll fix the leak, and get the seat situated. Not sure if I care about the large dent in the door, it still works as it should. Considering on going to the JY to find a sunroof, where I'll probably get seats, unless I steal my father's out his mustang.

What do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've recently acquired a Light Blue 1998 Sport 2wd, automatic, with the 4L OHV for $500. It's has well about 240k on the dash (still about 50k under my daily driver).

Since it's not my primary transportation, I have time to do what I need/want to with it. I worked on it a little bit for the previous owner. Plugs and wires, have less than 1000 miles on them.

I plan to keep the OHV, not swapping, unless I find a really good deal on a 302+trans. I also know that I will replace the fuel filter as I have no clue when or if it's been changed. I might clean the injectors (while removed, that that in tank crap), and will do pcv valve.

Mechanical issues that I know about:
1. Idle at over 1k, whistle from front of intake manifold (vacuum leak)
Should I just do the intake gaskets, or re-gasket the engine entirely?
2. Transmission shudder after about 45mph.
I haven't even looked at the transmission dipstick.
Low fluid can mess up the clutches and contaminate stuff, block passages in the valve body, etc, I know. Should I just do a filter change, maybe torque converter? Or should I just yank it and rebuild it?

Cosmetic issues: dent in passenger door. Roof or seal leak in cargo area. Driver seat motor and padding suck. Obviously, I'll fix the leak, and get the seat situated. Not sure if I care about the large dent in the door, it still works as it should. Considering on going to the JY to find a sunroof, where I'll probably get seats, unless I steal my father's out his mustang.

What do you think?
i wouldnt rebuild without checking the fluid level since ive seen a change help alot of trans before. check the dipstick burnt level etc.

Do fluid and filter and add lubegard red bottle to it and you should be good mercon V only BTW for the 5R55E

I've got zero experience with the 5r55e. I do with the 4r70w and the GM 4L60E, but will do fluid/filter to start.

Do fluid and filter and add lubegard red bottle to it and you should be good mercon V only BTW for the 5R55E
^^^knowledgable fellow!!!!

+1 for the lubegard red and also theres a lubegard shudder fix iirc. small tube, maybe. i hear its good stuff! for the 5r55e if that solves it next thing is big cooler imo these trans like it nice and cool

^^^knowledgable fellow!!!!

+1 for the lubegard red and also theres a lubegard shudder fix iirc. small tube, maybe. i hear its good stuff! for the 5r55e if that solves it next thing is big cooler imo these trans like it nice and cool
Yes @Fix4Dirt has a bigger cooler and I would highly recommend upgrading it

yes i do have a big cooler, and the trans runs at a happy 160 cruising hits 180 wheeling and long (and i mean long) steep hills it hits 215 tops and thats 10 miles on a steep grade loaded up too. heres the lubegard shudder fix too Instant Shudder Fixx - Lubegard
The cooler the better ya never want these things to get too hot heat is the number 1 killer for transmissions

On the engine, should I just seal leaks or tear down and do timing chain and head gaskets too?

On the engine, should I just seal leaks or tear down and do timing chain and head gaskets too?
since you have the OHV timing isnt as big a saga as on the sohcs, so i would leave it as long as theres tolerable slack etc. head gaskets i would do and have the heads checked for cracks for sure and maybe the valve cover reinforcements? aside from that seal leaks ohv is a very reliable engine

since you have the OHV timing isnt as big a saga as on the sohcs, so i would leave it as long as theres tolerable slack etc. head gaskets i would do and have the heads checked for cracks for sure and maybe the valve cover reinforcements? aside from that seal leaks ohv is a very reliable engine
I heard it was, that's why I wasn't planning on a swap. Machine shop doesn't even charge to inspect for cracks (my eyes aren't always the best).

The cooler the better ya never want these things to get too hot heat is the number 1 killer for transmissions
yes, for sure. depending on your climate sometimes you can plumb the radiator out of the trans cooling system sicne many it just warms them up i hear? havent doen it on mine howeve so cant confirm

yes, for sure. depending on your climate sometimes you can plumb the radiator out of the trans cooling system sicne many it just warms them up i hear? havent doen it on mine howeve so cant confirm
Yes it warms the fluid for cold climates

I heard it was, that's why I wasn't planning on a swap. Machine shop doesn't even charge to inspect for cracks (my eyes aren't always the best).
yes compared to the ohv sohc more complicated, we have iirc 5(?) chains if youre 4wd iirc. good theyll check for cracks.

yes compared to the ohv sohc more complicated, we have iirc 5(?) chains if youre 4wd iirc. good theyll check for cracks.
Yep ohv and 302 is the most reliable but the sohc has its own place too with the right maintenance the can be just as reliable

Yep ohv and 302 is the most reliable but the sohc has its own place too with the right maintenance the can be just as reliable
yes 302+4r70w highly reliable ohv+5MT those go forever if not overheated. yes sohc has its own place too, for a late 90s v6 imo they did a great job as far as power wise. but yes sohc and 5r55e when kept cool and maintained can be super reliable im pushing 323 on original engine and trans just primary chain guides redone

yes 302+4r70w highly reliable ohv+5MT those go forever if not overheated. yes sohc has its own place too, for a late 90s v6 imo they did a great job as far as power wise. but yes sohc and 5r55e when kept cool and maintained can be super reliable im pushing 323 on original engine and trans just primary chain guides redone
Perfectly said

Perfectly said
now i will admit the ohv and 302 will handle more abuse lack of maintainence etc. but the sohcs can hold their own bottom end is bulletproof now without the timing chain saga the sohc is super reliable. imo sohc dont deserve all the hate, theyre very good. now compared to the v8 and ohv yes theyre better, but sohc still very good

now i will admit the ohv and 302 will handle more abuse lack of maintainence etc. but the sohcs can hold their own bottom end is bulletproof now without the timing chain saga the sohc is super reliable. imo sohc dont deserve all the hate, theyre very good. now compared to the v8 and ohv yes theyre better, but sohc still very good
Yep the SOHC would be amazing with metal reinforced guides

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm about 90 minutes east of Pensacola/ 1hr west of Tallahassee. "Cold" here is about 30.
And don't take it out of context, I wasn't hating on the sohc, I've never had one.

Back