1998 OHV Preventative Maintenance | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 OHV Preventative Maintenance

Guess who F'd up. After getting it running, I should have added antifreeze and not just straight water. I came back Saturday from a week out of town. Apparently it got cold, Lowes around 17 at night. Cold enough for the water to freeze.
When I got home, I figured I'd crank it up and let it run for a little while. It didn't start and had a new squeak. I got to thinking, pulled the radiator cap off (frozen). Saw no water, just ice. I figured my water pump froze as well and that might explain the squeak while attempting to start. I decided to move it into the sun, realized the thing is heavy with low air in the tires, I ended up pulling it with my civic into my back yard facing the sun. But I did see the new freeze plug I installed a while back sitting on the ground where the ex was. I cranked it up yesterday long enough to pull it into my car port and left it until today. Put my garden hose into the radiator and turned it on. I have more leaks, it looks like more freeze plugs from the difficult view I got
Ouch I always run straight green on mine but that's because she sits. I go and start it at least every other week and she sometimes sounds like a ricer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dang that sucks bro i really hope it just pushed out the plugs and didn't freeze and crack the rad or block or even the heads
Would it run with a cracked block?

Would it run with a cracked block?
i mean my buddy had a 5.3 Silverado that ran with a cracked block and it ran good too but it cracked by the cooling jacket so oil and water was mixing and white smoke at the exhaust

i mean my buddy had a 5.3 Silverado that ran with a cracked block and it ran good too but it cracked by the cooling jacket so oil and water was mixing and white smoke at the exhaust
If it is cracked, that would be my excuse for a 5.0...

If it is cracked, that would be my excuse for a 5.0...
True but then again those ohvs are insanely strong at most id say a cracked rad bro

I crawled under it today. Today is relax before work day, so not working on it. It looks like its just another freeze plug. When it gets warmer, I think I'll pull the engine and do them all and a leaky rear main seal. Unless someone has a better option

I know, slow progress... Money, time, health. I started (didn't pull it all the way out yet) pulling the transmission, to get to the rear main seal. Once I pulled the driveshaft, it leaked black, or very dark transmission fluid. I can probably guess that it's never been serviced.

My father stopped by last weekend and this. We pulled it all out. The transmission had markings like it came from a junkyard. "6-2-09" and what I'm guessing are initials of the person ringing it up, "HAP"
We drained the rest of the transmission fluid, it was almost black. The pan is (I haven't cleaned it yet) full of gray clutch material.
Would you say it's time for a rebuild? Also is there an easy way to determine the year of manufacture of the transmission? If I'm going to rebuild, I plan to make sure it's updated as well.
IMG_20230304_123450247.jpg
IMG_20230304_135821836.jpg

It's a 2wd sport, so no crazy off roading, but towing is likely.
I will get a transmission cooler.
If I rebuild the transmission, do you have any recommendations for kits? Or should I piece together what I need?

A 302/4r70w combo is great for towing.

you need a donor vehicle to swap to v8, you can sell the old engine and trans to recoup some of the cost, and then the tires rims interior parts etc off the donor, probably come off on top there. then cost for parts is somewhat similar there. aside i hear its just wiring and stuff.

it will be faster, maybe more reliable auto trans, and can haul more

Sell it to my wife lol
Probably be cheaper to find used lower mileage V8 parts than rebuild what you got. I'd find a V8 donor with a bad transmission and get a low mileage transmission from a V6 mustang. They are the same as the V8 units, the V6 doesn't destroy them and the junk yards price them low. @Flashflood was quoted $3200 for a transmission rebuild, you could sell your engine and transmission as good cores and do the swap for under $2,000.

Probably be cheaper to find used lower mileage V8 parts than rebuild what you got. I'd find a V8 donor with a bad transmission and get a low mileage transmission from a V6 mustang. They are the same as the V8 units, the V6 doesn't destroy them and the junk yards price them low. @Flashflood was quoted $3200 for a transmission rebuild, you could sell your engine and transmission as good cores and do the swap for under $2,000.
No labor costs. It wouldn't be my first amateur rebuild. Did a couple 4L60e's a couple years ago that are still going strong, and it's not my daily driver.

I believe that transmission is at least a 2001 since it has both the ISS and OSS. The explorer is a 98, I know you can run the transmission with one of the sensors disconnected. The harness reaches both, which should it be plugged to? I'd assume the OSS, but would rather know for sure.

If you can do a 4l60e you should be able to do a 5r
Sonnax makes the best rebuild parts for these units
The information is out there for doing a complete reman on that trans, however given the condition of the fluid it may not be a bad idea to find a better core to start with
The ohv just needs a re seal, all new gaskets and o rings, head gaskets and head bolts. Do a close inspection of the valvetrain pushrods and rocker tips replace any worn parts
If the rear main seal is not leaking consider leaving it alone. The big leak spots on ohv is the valve cover gaskets and the oil filter mount most engine gasket sets do not include the 3 o rings needed for oil filter mount.

Have at it! 98 4.0 and 5r55’is a good setup!!

Have at it! 98 4.0 and 5r55’is a good setup!!
you're not helping. LOL. It maybe a good setup but the V8 in a sport is a better setup. Already has a clean empty engine bay to start with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is true
We all know I prefer the 4r70w all day long over the 5r55e
But I do also build lots of pushrod 4.0 trucks, they do have their place. The 5r553 is awesome trans after the sohc has been out for a few years, the 05-11
Units are very strong and rebuilding an early one all the updates can be done

If you have the means I would for sure be after A v8 and 4r70w
It would really open your options for towing!!

Back