1998 Sport, 4.0 Crank no start. Help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Sport, 4.0 Crank no start. Help?

makeshiftwombat

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mercury Mountaineer
Friend of mine has a 1998 sport, with a crank no start.
We found that the key was bad, causing the theft light to blink, I missed the light since he was cranking it and I was under the hood, we used the spare, and it started right up, we thought we had fixed the problem.
Then when he tried to move it the engine stalled, and hasn't started since.
I can hear the spark, and the fuel pressure is a solid 38-40 with Key on engine off.
I looked at the aftermarket alarm, which I found to be a starter interrupt which was not the problem, I resistance tested the throttle position sensor which upon moving I found to short, I replaced it with a new effective one, still wouldn't start.

I am at a loss. Any ideas?
Edit: It's the 4.0 OHV.

Looked at it again today. No 5vref from the pcm going to the MAF sensor. I resistance tested the wire leading to the MAF, it's fine no shorts or excessive resistance. It will start if i put some starting fluid in the intake. What could it be if not a bad pcm?
I didn't think to spoof the 5vref from another power source with a jumper wire.
It started today, when I would take off the connector to the MAF it would idle better, but after running a moment it stalled again and wouldn't start unless I sprayed more starter fluid in it.

Back