1998 Sport D-44 SAS Complete!!! | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Sport D-44 SAS Complete!!!

98 Sport D-44 SAS Complete!!!

I wanted to wait till the truck was done b4 posting here, but here I am, the truck is done.... FINALLY.

The gears and locker are in, and the new driveshaft is in, and it works great, I had it out on the highway and it seems to get a better ride at higher speeds..... Good thing....

Specs:

D44 Front axle from a 84 Grand Waggy wide-trac
4:10 Gear ratio Locked
Warn Manual hubs
Leaf spring suspension
Rancho 5000 shocks all around
94 X steering box
Tom Woods custom front driveshaft
Woodring driveshafts custom rear driveshaft
rear SOA and 3" blocks
Modified Tranny Crossmember (to allow driveshaft to fit)
all the rest of the SAS is custom fabricated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think both Lizard and I accomplished this by simply unbolting the brake line on the driver side spring perch and routing the hard line above the spring. Doesn't exactly follow the lines above the spring, but it does the trick and still allows for all the flex you'll get out of those springs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DasFrem said:
I think both Lizard and I accomplished this by simply unbolting the brake line on the driver side spring perch and routing the hard line above the spring. Doesn't exactly follow the lines above the spring, but it does the trick and still allows for all the flex you'll get out of those springs.
Awesome, this is the first answer I've gotten about this, and I've searched the entire site. I'd like to see at least another option on this but it seems like this is a solution to my problem. There are quite a few gen 2 guys that have done the SOA in the rear I'm pretty sure...

That's the same way i did mine too. Just take a wire tire or something and hang it if need be.

Did you put the diamond plate around it, because you cut a hole in the hump plate? Is that to keep the air out/in, or is it for looks?

Great Looking Explorer

One of my favorite rigs on this board...
Great job... :thumbsup:

looks great.!!!!

Well its been a while since I posted here in this thread, the eXploder is still doing great, still on the road and sometimes trails, havnt ran into any major problems with it, still takin her on long trips....

I built another toy that is used more for the woods tho, a 94 tRacker, toyota axles front and rear, both locked, 5.29 gears, 4.26:1 t-case gears, 12" extended wheelbase, 33's (35's by the end of this week) warn 9500hs winch.... this truck is one of the best crawlers Ive built, it just goes.... and goes.... its light (bout 2200lbs), tiny (with 12" extended wheelbase), and great flex..... check it out at http://www.offroadnuts.com check out the video and picture sections.

That's awsome. What length WB do you have now with the 12" ext. Great picx and vids

wow nice trucks and website, been a while since we saw you on here.

Can you tow the geo with the expo?

410Fortune said:
wow nice trucks and website, been a while since we saw you on here.

Can you tow the geo with the expo?

Thanx..... could tow it, but havent had the need to as of yet, I live next to the biggest offroad park in the east and theres other wheelin all around this area that I can just drive to.

the wheelbase is at about 99" right now.

Its definately a nice rig, too bad you don't let John (earthquake69) drive it as much. Then again he needs more practice in something with training wheels before driving that thing full time. Then again maybe thats why he is now driving that Cherokee :D

yeah I wanna keep the lil beast in one piece, heres a pic of john/marcy/earthquake... or whatever ya wanna call him, in his trail rig... ya know, he has more names that I do :eek: the quality aint that good as I took it with my phone cam.....

eq1.jpg

Hey skunk, what kind of leafs are you using ?

if you don't mind me asking, what was the cost involved in the sas? not including things like lockers, tires, and other stuff, just the parts to go sas. if i can afford it, i think i'm going to copy your design here. looks great!

I see dumbass never updated this thread over the years... *sigh*.

Some random pics of the old girl:

315528_10150284662388671_4945142_n.jpg

11222794_10204175197885747_1507195306796052707_n.jpg

Aww, she was so little!

18456_1234891950561_802623_n.jpg

18456_1234891590552_3211585_n.jpg

Skunk was the one to transport him to his funeral, too... although we couldn't resist one last prank

11377172_955801447775445_518137827341291695_n.jpg

She stalled in front of the funeral home-- no power whatsoever, total blackout. It took some coaxing but once I put Chris's ashes on the passenger seat we were able to get her started and drive back home... where she promptly shut off as soon as she got back into the garage, next to Blackjack. Every attempt to get her running again has ended in failure; she even boiled the water out of the battery just to make sure I couldn't charge it :rolleyes:

Both of us have always maintained that our trucks have a soul of sorts. People laugh and brush off our theory as total nonsense. All I know is Blackjack saved my life at the cost of his own, and Skunk simply will not function without Chris. Take what you will from that, but treat your Explorers well.

Nice pics Linds! Thanks for the update.

Back