1998 Sport D-44 SAS Complete!!! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Sport D-44 SAS Complete!!!

98 Sport D-44 SAS Complete!!!

I wanted to wait till the truck was done b4 posting here, but here I am, the truck is done.... FINALLY.

The gears and locker are in, and the new driveshaft is in, and it works great, I had it out on the highway and it seems to get a better ride at higher speeds..... Good thing....

Specs:

D44 Front axle from a 84 Grand Waggy wide-trac
4:10 Gear ratio Locked
Warn Manual hubs
Leaf spring suspension
Rancho 5000 shocks all around
94 X steering box
Tom Woods custom front driveshaft
Woodring driveshafts custom rear driveshaft
rear SOA and 3" blocks
Modified Tranny Crossmember (to allow driveshaft to fit)
all the rest of the SAS is custom fabricated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HELL YEAH :)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Since mine is temporarily held up...actually rebuilding the axle is going slow- I'm sure I'll be back for some great ideas. I'm just lazy...

That is unless you go to coil! Cause I'm keep'in my leafs! :D

Im stayin with leafs, much less to go wrong with leafs, much stronger and more reliable. only way I'd change was if I went to coil-overs. leafs flex just as good, if not better then coils.

truck3.jpg

I have a few quick questions for ya. Did you keep the stock waggy steering? And what type of spring did you go with? I was told that the stock waggy leaf pack with 7 leafs was strong enough for the front end. I just picked up a set of waggy 44's this weekend, and hope to have the swap done soon.

Thanks for your help,
Chris

Originally posted by lizardtrac
Im stayin with leafs, much less to go wrong with leafs, much stronger and more reliable. only way I'd change was if I went to coil-overs. leafs flex just as good, if not better then coils.

Amen!:D :D :D

So check this one out.... as some of you know, I had a problem with my truck being all over the damn road ever since the SAS, Ive been going over all my work, and had some other ppl point out some things as well, but noone can figure out why the truck was all over the road all the time..... well I call Maxxis (my tire sponcer) and was asking about gettin a set of the new Creepy Crawlers, while I was on the phone, I found out that the Mudzillas were discontinued due to problems like mine.... so I do have one thing to say to all that doubted me.... MY WORK WAS FINE!!!! IT WAS THE DAMN TIRES ALL THIS TIME!!!!

And waggy leafs are a bit flat but they work great for flexxing. they were designed to sit almost flat from the factory, so your almost guaranteed to see them sit flat on your X.

new t-case, bumpers, tires, steering box, etc... along with some interior stuff goin on now.... new digital cam too so Ill be sure to take alot of updated wheelin pics.

Don't forget to get closeups of the spring mounts!

I'm getting close to that point and I'm kidnapping ideas from everybody!

I mean you gotta try out that new camera, right?

Holy crap!

taking it to the next level so soon after taking it to this one?

hahaha SWEET!!!!

Keep us posted.......and how do I get a tire sponsor? :)

OK... the new t-case is in the truck.... ok, well its in the back seat.... but its closer then yesterday to being installed!!!!

its just too damn cold out, and the heater in the garage dont do much for the cold ass garage floor....

and the cold ass tools. I know how that goes

hey lizardtrac i was wondering what kind of steering system you are currently running beacuse i am about to swap in the same kind of axle and having a little trouble with it. also if u have any advice for my sas.
thanks for your help

steering was probably the biggest pain in the ass, I tried a few different ideas with a few different steering boxes, I ended up with a first gen or ranger steering box (same thing) I went to the auto parts store and got a new steering link (drag link) and had it custom bent, from there down is stock waggy. The part about the steering that the worst is mounting the box, you will have to drill and sleve holes in the frame and shorten the steering shaft (from the firewall) You will also have to have custom power steering lines made.

gear box (used) $35
new hydrolic lines $40
bolts & hardware $20
patience..... PRICELESS!!!

cool thanks for the reply. i think i decided to go with a hy steer setup. got me some flat top knuckles this weekend. so just deciding on a steering box right now. and i to agree that the steering will be the hardest part of the swap.

swapped out the 4405 to to a 1354 manual t-case...

if anyone need the adaptor for the 4405 front shaft let me know.

lizardtrac,

nice truck!!, QUESTION: what did you use for front leafs and brakets? of the same truck you got the D44 from?

thanks
Joe

stock waggy front leafs, I made all the brackets and hangers from scratch.

lizardtrac,

do the waggy front leafs/diff come stock under axle or over axle?

Reason I am asking, i rather leave axle on top of leaf , if it comes that way to match the stock explorer rear...

I am looking for front end stength rather than more lift at the same time...

The Waggy 44 comes sprung under stock, just like the Explorer rear.

Cool!!!

1 less step.... both front and rear can always be done at a later time......

Back