1998 Trans in a 1997 - 4R70W 2WD

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
Is there a big difference between a 1998 5.0L 4R70W 2WD vs. a 1997 5.0L 4R70W 2WD.

In the Hollander Interchange, 1998 is NOT THE EXACT SAME as 1997. But what IS the difference?

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may have differences in the DTR sensor. I'm not sure when that changed...but I believe you can swap yours over if necessary.

Big difference could be VSS. The 97 might be in the tailshaft of the trans where 98 is in the rear diff. If that is the case, you will need to use the old tailshaft housing and drive gear on the 98 trans. BUT! You need to pull the tailshaft housing off the 98 trans and make sure the output shaft is machined to accept a drive gear. If not, you probably need to keep looking or be willing to disassemble the trans and swap output shafts.

bingo

depending on the build date of the 98 transmission it may or may not have a different DTRS on the side of it

Apparently they went from an analog signal to a digital signal somewhere in 98
No matter, just install the DTRS sensor from the 97 onto the 98 trans, simple pimple

the VSS is a whole different ball game

If there is no drive gear on your 98's output shaft (there wont be) then you need to do some work :)
I had a 4406 t case from a 98 with no VSS drive gear, so I got the parts from a 97 4406 t case, and used a dremel with daimond grinder wheel to grind a pivot into the hardened output shaft to accept the OEM VSS drive gear :)

ballbearing.jpg

bbspeedo.jpg

bbspeedoin.jpg

All the parts can come from your 97 trans so you = lucky, I had to find somebody in the USA willing to take a 4406 apart and send me specific parts LOL

Thats strange. my trans had the machining on the output shaft for the speed sensor.
However i think the sensor hole was either not drilled out or it was plugged i cant remember.

and its SUPPOSED to be a '99

the pictures are of a 4406 t case, not a 4r70w, I was just showing what he MIGHT have to do if his tailhousing and output shaft are similar, this is what I had to do to convert a 01 t case to a 97 tailshaft, the 4406 t case has a slip style rear output, similar to a 2wd trans

would this be the same for 99 in a 97

I think the 98 model uses a mechanical diode and the 97 uses a roller clutch...the mechanical diode being the better part.

Back