• Register Today It's free!

1998 Washer fluid problem

martin123

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello first post.

Have beening reading this post for sometime now and have always found the answer to my problem somewhere. But this time I can not find the answer. I have a 1998 explorer that the washer fluid is not working. Fuses checked (okay), pump checked works fine but installed new one just incase, relay replaced, push switch replaced (whole assembly). Attach meter at pump and it receives almost 12 volts when button pushed but will not work. Bypass everything and pump works and sprays fine on the windshiels. Wipers work fine.

Any guess on what to try next?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cleaning your nozzles and tubes is about all you can do now.

What voltage are you getting at the connector for the washer pump? I see you say "almost 12 volts" which should be OK, but then again I'm not sure what "almost" might mean in this case.

If you can, see if it is possible to probe the back-side of the harness (while it is connected to the pump) to see what the voltage does under load.

Check the multifunction switch, I know they go all the time.

-mc

Hello Thanks for the replies. Grateful for any help. Also I noticed I posted in the wrong section. Sorry for that. But when I check the connection it gets about 11.83 volts (figure that is acceptable lose through the wiring harness). But I have not check it under load. I will try that. If the volts stay the same or drops, what does that indicate? I also changed the switch, relay and pump. And triple checked the fuses. If I apply straight power to the pump it works and sprays onto the windshield, so I figure the hoses are clean.

I have no clue what to do?

Thanks

Hello, I am getting desperate, should I just run new wires and hook up a new switch on the dash? This way I will at least have fluid if I need it, or until I can fix the real problem.

how are you "by-passing everything"... 12v and grd or just 12v??????

Any suggestions? Was either thinking about running a direct hook up with a push button temporarily fixed to the dash(no drilling, using a mount attachment like on a wheel chair), with an in-line fuse, and using the existing ground. Or running a new ground also. This would be temporary until I could figure out the problem and fix it properly. This way if I am in bad weather I can at least see out my windshield.

no...no.... I think you misunderstood my question.... it wasn't about your "plans", it was about your "testing" that you described in your first post... How did you "by-pass everything"? with a battery and ground or just battery run.... that will likely give you a glue as to where to look for your problem. As for "day to day by-passing", its a temporary alternative but not as effective as fixing the problem.

I tested it straight from the battery, hooking up the the positive and negative. Would you suggest just hooking up the positive and trying to see if that works. Then hook up the negative and see it that works. If one works but not the other then what?

Thanks for helping.

that's what I figured.... you have a ground problem... anyways, you can help confirm or narrow the problem some more by just hooking up the 12v only if you want or go for the guess with a better ground.

Does the washer for the rear window work at all, or are both the front and rear function dead in the water?

There are two relays: One for the front wash and one for the rear wash, but they control the same washer motor. It simply runs in one direction for the front and the other for the rear. The relay that's NOT being used provides the ground path for the relay that's being used. So, if the rear works, but the front does not, try swapping the relays. If the front then works and the rear doesn't, we know it's a bad relay. if it still doesn't work, try swapping both of those relays with a known good one (like the horn relay, for example). It's possible one of them could be burned open instead of grounding like it should.

-Joe

I only see one washer relay in power distribution box Layout. Where is the second one?

Again thanks for the help.

Both of the washer relays are in Auxiliary Relay Box #1, which is located behind the passenger side headlamp housing, and if my memory serves, it's wedged below the air filter box, or in that general area.

I looked in the owner's manual, and I don't see where you're seeing the washer relay in the power distribution block... They're in the relay box in the exact opposite corner of the engine bay...

-Joe

Yea it is fixed. I had to replace a wire and the clip at the pump. Now I have an extra washer pump, extra relay and multi-switch. But 2 weeks later it works. Thanks for all the help. On to the next project.

i'll buy your other switch if it'll fit on a 97 exploer.

mines tricky to turn on, but wont pass safety

When do you need it by? Will be heading north in August if your not in a rush. But if you need it sooner we could work out a deal. Lots of x's in the wreckers down here. If I am bring you this one part do you need anything else. Nothing to big space will be limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how far down north are you coming? i could use a transfer case 4x4 relay and 4x4 switch...time isnt a big part

Back