1998 xlt to limited body wiring harness | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 xlt to limited body wiring harness

Dezza85

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt explorer
Hi,
Ive been using this site to rebuild my sohc explorer motor it has been awesome... the car not so much, worst regrets buying it. I have never encountered such a head f+#$ in my mechanical career.

Anyways the motor runs now and sounds good, untill the trans lets go..... lol

So the question i signed up for is, i am buying a limited wreck to salvage the interior out of. And would like to use the extra knick nacks the limited has. However i am un certain if the looms differ from the limited to the standard xlt. So to utilize the extra knick nacks will i have to change over the harness, bcm, ect ect.

Thanks guys. As i said you all have been awesome in providing the info needed on this site.

Well thanks for the help on that front.... first and last time i ever buy a useless ford. Im now stuck with a complete interior out of a limited which most i cant use and no f&$kin dash..... coz wiring looms are DIFFERENT! Allthough it all looks the same. There a different pins in plugs that dont match. And ofcourse the more expected extra plugs ect. The heater box actuators are different. Ect ect ect.... good thing no 1 wants these useless cars... wont be long b4 another 1 pops up for under 500$ i can steal bits from.

Welcome and sorry to here you giving up on it. I rebuilt a 99 Limited using lots of odd parts, and I had all of the wiring out and apart, adding and changing lots of things.

You do have to use certain models for swapping, as there were major wiring changes in 97 and 98 depending on which engine it had, plus more changes in 1999.

For your 98 you can't really use 99-01 wiring, and some things changed in the SOHC wiring harness from 97 to 98 due to improvements to the SOHC and the 5R trans for 1998.

It sounds like you'd be better of rebuilding the Limited donor you got, using your truck for body parts etc. A 302 truck from 1998-2001 is the best choice, those are very very reliable, compared to the V6 trucks of any year. Good luck,

Back