1999 4.0 Sohc 2 door. anything I gotta know? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 4.0 Sohc 2 door. anything I gotta know?

Gimpy117

Reaction score
City, State
Traverse City
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer 4.0L sohc
i had a transmission pump go out on my beater so i slid into a shorter beater that's a few years newer.
anything I gotta know about the SOHC and whatever they changed? It's got a rich bank misfire and a leaky valve cover gasket but everything else seems to work. OD flashed after I bought it (of course) but i reset it and it's not back so far. i felt a vibration on the highway that sounded like a shock on the pass. side and the muffler is shot (my shop is gonna quote me on that).

it's rusty sure, but for $700 it's what you get, but any other tips would be great. anything I can pull off my 1995 with a failed transmission pump worth saving before I scrap it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cam chain tensioner guides. They’re plastic, and the SOHC likes to eat them. My first engine started the ‘death rattle’ around 120k, real loud around 2300rpm or so. Engine lasted to 202k before I preemptively swapped it out. Tensioner was fully deployed, guide was broke as hell, chain was not very tight. Surprised she never jumped teeth.

The 5R55E tranny kinda sucks. In original form, anyway. Mine made it to 125k before I started having problems. After about 15 mins on the highway, the torque converter would unlock and the OD OFF light would flash. Had a broken band too. Had it rebuilt at 140k, and the rebuild is still going strong 160k later.

Otherwise? These things are great.

Love my 99 4for
Does it rattle on cold start??

Love my 99 4for
Does it rattle on cold start??
i can really hear till i get a muffler on it.
having the od flash but the transmission shifts fine and it comes and goes. not sure why right now since it's not throwing a code for anything

Update: anything I can do to narrow down that od flash? i see a slight rise in engine RPM when in OD on the highway. could the TC not be locking all the way?

Get it on a better scan tool. Just a wild guess but probably P0741.

Get it on a better scan tool. Just a wild guess but probably P0741.
fair enough. im guessing it will probably be cheaper to buy one than pay a shop to do it?

My advice would be to avoid the SOHC engine like the plague. When they're working properly their fine, but when you get broken timing chain cassettes (which eventually all do) fixing them costs more than double what the vehicles are worth (especially true of a Sport).

Sorry @donalds. I know you love your SOHC's.

My advice would be to avoid the SOHC engine like the plague. When they're working properly their fine, but when you get broken timing chain cassettes (which eventually all do) fixing them costs more than double what the vehicles are worth (especially true of a Sport).

Sorry @donalds. I know you love your SOHC's.
I do ...but you are correct on all points
If you don't know how to work on them and fully understand how that overly complicated engine works avoid them like the plague lol

Update: made a "heat shield" to cover the down pipe until my appointment next week for the valve cover gasket. still dripping on cat though, might make another. seems like the plugs 1-2-3 are really stuck in there good though...which is not fun. im thinking its the source of my misfire. any tips on busting them loose?

Pb blaster and time
Let it creep in the threads / seal ....base of plug over night
Use anti seize when you install the new set

Update:

truck is done. didnt even make it two weeks. all of a sudden I have p0733,p0734,po741
truck now barely moves like the other one. now I have two dead fords sitting out front. not a good week

Back