1999 4.0L sohc intake manifold dry | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 4.0L sohc intake manifold dry

Mumbler57028

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer eh
So ive been changing the head gaskets on my explorer. I got the upper intake manifold off so far and i have a dry port on the lower intake...
8.jpg

Anyone know what could cause this? I just had the upper and lower intake gaskets replaced by a mechanic before my head gasket failed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dry port?

What do you mean by a "dry port"? Do you mean that the port is clean and free of carbon build up? Or do you mean there's no signs of fuel? The fuel is injected into the head ports - not the lower intake manifold ports. If the intake ports are wet from fuel then your fuel pressure damper on the fuel rail probably has a ruptured diaphragm and fuel is getting sucked into the manifold by vacuum.

What do you mean by a "dry port"? Do you mean that the port is clean and free of carbon build up? Or do you mean there's no signs of fuel? The fuel is injected into the head ports - not the lower intake manifold ports. If the intake ports are wet from fuel then your fuel pressure damper on the fuel rail probably has a ruptured diaphragm and fuel is getting sucked into the manifold by vacuum.

All Ports have a black carbon but also wet look to them. And one has nothing. No carbon and dry.. Is the picture showing up? Its the one all the way to the back.

Egr

The majority of carbon deposits comes from EGR which enters the upper intake manifold at the front. But there is usually some grime on all ports just from airflow. Which cylinder(s) had low compression when your head gasket failed?

not sure yet. it started to overheat and I was getting exhaust fumes bubbling from the coolant reservoir. I'm going to pull the plugs to see if there's any coolant or abnormalities in the cylinders today. Ill let you guys know the outcome.

compression test

It's not too late to perform a compression test. Just make sure nothing can get sucked into the intake ports. You're going to pull the spark plugs anyway. I wouldn't pull the heads until I had compression test results.

2lc07cl.jpg

2czrofr.jpg

well this is pretty cool, its like Starbucks under my oil fill cap.. But not water on dipstick.. Im pretty confident i need to pull the heads. I got it used for a liw price so its a project. It has 114k on it and would be a good vehicle if i could get this taken care of.

Back