1999 EB Explorer intermittent hard start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 EB Explorer intermittent hard start

iajet

Reaction score
City, State
Torrance, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 & '10 XLT 4x4
I have searched the forum and there are a lot of posts regarding hard starts but none seem to apply to the issue I have.

I am experiencing an intermittent hard start at different times of the day (cold v warm engine). Different fuel quantity levels. Level pavement, tail high, nose high, doesn't make a difference. The fuel pump and filter were changed out almost exactly a year and 14k miles ago. Sometimes it will start right up, others it cranks for a few seconds, starts and revs high or just starts, every once in a while it cranks for a few seconds and starts and sputters a bit. About 6 months ago it was sputtering a bit during and after start, this lasted for about a week and then it just died and would not start. I towed it into the mechanic and he swore he changed out the fuel pump as it was still under warranty. I have my doubts as the tank was full when I brought it to him and full when I picked it up about 3 hours later. The full tank and 3 hours turn time kind of led me to believe that the pump was not actually replaced. I have never had any reason to doubt him or his work and he is always honest whether something is really an issue or needs to be replaced. I have had this truck for about 65k miles or so and in that period I have not replaced the plugs or wires, I am planning on doing this in a week or so.

Thanks so much for your time. This forum, with all of your knowledge, is like gold!

With the information you have supplied, test your fuel pressure. If you're getting fuel check ignition. I would start with checking the battery cables and change your plugs and wires.

If it’s mostly when warm check/change the coolant temp sensor.

Back