1999 explorer 4.0l SOHC having issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 explorer 4.0l SOHC having issues

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ranger 3.0l flex
I picked up a 99 SOHC Vin E (one with the weird tubular intake manifold) a few weeks ago. Thing ran fine for the most part, but found a grey vacuum line on passenger side by the washer fluid tank that had a screw in it to plug it. Found that the heater valve didn’t have any vac line to it so I assumed it was that one.
Vehicle would run fine, would have an occasional misfire that you could just barely hear or a low idle (thinking vac issues again) but never stalled.
I had the vehicle cleaned and detailed, engine bay included, and now it either has a high idle, or wants to die, isn’t responsive to throttle inputs occasionally, and also, it’s stuck in 4wd. Is the 4wd system vacuum actuated? Or did they find a little electrical gremlin while cleaning and detailing the engine bay? Previous owner claims intake manifold was changed along with gaskets, I’ve sprayed starting fluid all over the place and it hasn’t affected idle at all. Any pointers?

Look at your Maf sensor for water in the plug

Also the intake tube has 2 hoses just after the Maf going into it make sure they are attached

4WD is electronic, no vac.

IIRC, all the vac lines attach to the manifold on the passenger side, near the firewall. Not hard to get to.

Back