• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1999 explorer D44 Swap...Big Red

David89

Reaction score
City, State
Libertyville, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Sams01XplrSprt

Southern Cali Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport (sold)
looks nice

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
That looks sick man

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Fix your steering and it will drive alot better on the road. Lower it a few inches as well and that will help as well.

David89

Reaction score
City, State
Libertyville, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Fix your steering and it will drive alot better on the road. Lower it a few inches as well and that will help as well.
I mite go with dual shocks in the front and get some sort of sway bar setup, this isnt my daily driver so its just a toy. I still need shocks in the rear, riding on raw springs!

fordtrux1

Reaction score
City, State
orange ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 mercury mountaineer 50
hell yea!!

I have been working on this for awhile now...Big Red is almost done but is driveable. I made a website for it awhile ago, so i'm just going to post the link for that. Feel free to shoot me any questions or anything i could have done better!

http://bigredexplorersas.webs.com/

got some short videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvW_QuExpIU

more to come
that is sic!! i'm all new to this stuff the forums n all i tripped over this site lookin for lifted explorers/mount. i have a 00' mount. with a 5.0 i was thinkin a 44 would be the way for solid swap but did you look into a coil over setup is it possible for it? i have yet to dig into that, but good job!!

David89

Reaction score
City, State
Libertyville, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
that is sic!! i'm all new to this stuff the forums n all i tripped over this site lookin for lifted explorers/mount. i have a 00' mount. with a 5.0 i was thinkin a 44 would be the way for solid swap but did you look into a coil over setup is it possible for it? i have yet to dig into that, but good job!!
I did look into a D44 with coils, but springs are better for mudding! thats all there is to do where i'm located. Yes almost anything is possible if you have ok fab skills, time and a bit of cash! I model my SAS after Section 525 and kinda did what Stic o did for the steering. If you want more pictures i can post them?. I wish i went bigger with the axle, cause when i get a front shaft in, this axle is going to break apart! D44 are a good way to go.

rjcooperss396

Reaction score
City, State
Fontana, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I started out with a steering setup like yours on my SAS but it had too much play in it so I made my own high steer. It now drives like a stock setup and doesn't wonder at all even at 80mph on the highway.

David89

Reaction score
City, State
Libertyville, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I started out with a steering setup like yours on my SAS but it had too much play in it so I made my own high steer. It now drives like a stock setup and doesn't wonder at all even at 80mph on the highway.

Eventually i might go with that if it makes it feel like a stock truck. could it be the steering box going? that box has over 300,000 miles on it. Explorers last forever!

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
rjcooperss396 -- I suggest you change out that welded knuckle for a true High-Steer arm because we've already seen one break on EF. Steering is not something you want to go cheap on especially if you take this thing on the highway.

rjcooperss396

Reaction score
City, State
Fontana, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Eventually i might go with that if it makes it feel like a stock truck. could it be the steering box going? that box has over 300,000 miles on it. Explorers last forever!
Mine was actually rotating the drag link. I would turn the wheel obout a 1/4 turn before the link would bind and then start to turn the wheels.

rjcooperss396 -- I suggest you change out that welded knuckle for a true High-Steer arm because we've already seen one break on EF. Steering is not something you want to go cheap on especially if you take this thing on the highway.

I've been keeping an eye on mine but haven't had any cracks yet and it has been to TDS, John Bull, Dish Pan, Crowbar and others for the past year.

When I welded mine I set the back plate at an angle and then welded it on both sides. I then added the front plate and welded it on the outside. I also have a bracket welded to the backside of it so I think it should be plenty strong.

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
The one IZwack posted was ran for a few years and then broke. It was done by a reputable shop that does $100,000 bugggies. Only reason I belive they did it was bucause at the time histeer arms were not very common. I wouldn't trust my life to it no matter how it was welded on.

fordtrux1

Reaction score
City, State
orange ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 mercury mountaineer 50
I did look into a D44 with coils, but springs are better for mudding! thats all there is to do where i'm located. Yes almost anything is possible if you have ok fab skills, time and a bit of cash! I model my SAS after Section 525 and kinda did what Stic o did for the steering. If you want more pictures i can post them?. I wish i went bigger with the axle, cause when i get a front shaft in, this axle is going to break apart! D44 are a good way to go.
sorry i just read your reply i do ALOT of muddin even with my stocker shes a capable lil girl lol but its also a rocky at times travel so ride is a consern if you got more pics of your setup that mite clue tohow i could go about this that would be sweet thanx

David89

Reaction score
City, State
Libertyville, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
sorry i just read your reply i do ALOT of muddin even with my stocker shes a capable lil girl lol but its also a rocky at times travel so ride is a consern if you got more pics of your setup that mite clue tohow i could go about this that would be sweet thanx
Alright i will post some videos and add to the website with some more pictures in a few days. I have been very busy lately with my career and school!

mynameisaric

Reaction score
City, State
Bolingbrook, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I see you are in illinois. You want to go to the cliffs over thanksgiving weekend? Nice truck btw.

David89

Reaction score
City, State
Libertyville, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I see you are in illinois. You want to go to the cliffs over thanksgiving weekend? Nice truck btw.
Yes Sir I M, i would love too. What are the rules there? i need to install my gears in first and then drop the tranny X member to install the front driveshaft!

mynameisaric

Reaction score
City, State
Bolingbrook, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Just usual park rules. Orange flag mounted on vehicle, no alcohol, etc.

offroadLAX

Reaction score
City, State
Myrtle Beach, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' XLT
About how much does it cost to do a SAS?:salute:

Fusion213

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 5.0L

For a little bit of money, you should get some safety washers for the single shear setup on that steering, especially going 80mph down the highway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B 1999 Ranger SAS (Dana 44/Ford 9 Inch) Solid Axle Swap Registry 18
D 01 Explorer Sport 1 tons Solid Axle Swap Registry 4
R New to the forum and have sas'd explorer Solid Axle Swap Registry 9
9 1998 Explorer xlt Solid Axle Swap Registry 9
R 91 Explorer on Dana 60's Solid Axle Swap Registry 5
M My SAS 97 Explorer Solid Axle Swap Registry 15
R List of Useful Threads Ford Explorer & Ranger Solid Axle Swap - SAS - Registry Index Solid Axle Swap Registry 31
9 yey!! im done 91 explorer on full widths done.... Solid Axle Swap Registry 32
W Wanderer's EXO-Caged FW44/10.25 explorer Solid Axle Swap Registry 3
section525 Section525 - Explorer V8 D44 SAS Solid Axle Swap Registry 38
A 1992 Explorer Solid Axle Swap Registry 42
jrgaylor Jrgaylor's 91 Explorer full width D44/9 Solid Axle Swap Registry 123
B 1995 - Dora the explorer SAS Solid Axle Swap Registry 166
C 1991 Explorer Solid Axle Swap Leaf Spring Solid Axle Swap Registry 56
Rick Great Pumpkin Solid Axle Swap 1993 Ford Explorer XL Rick Horwitz Solid Axle Swap Registry 103
E Wils 94 Dora on D44 3 link. Solid Axle Swap Registry 13
01STrunner 01STrunner's Sport Trac D44 SAS/SOA Solid Axle Swap Registry 79
W 99 EB x SAS D44. Solid Axle Swap Registry 55
WickedWindsor Wicked Windsor's D44 Swap Solid Axle Swap Registry 25
ld50 '93 XL on Full-width D44 and 9-inch Solid Axle Swap Registry 20
Spas Captain Morgan, '95 D44 Sas Solid Axle Swap Registry 199
O Ohe boy's Full Width D44/Ford 9" Solid Axle Swap Registry 75
S '97 Ranger SC, D44 SAS... Solid Axle Swap Registry 9
J 1993 HP D44 swap Solid Axle Swap Registry 44
R 1993 Ranger D44 swap Solid Axle Swap Registry 27