• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

1999 Explorer engine rattle.

jmedina827

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 4x4 XLT
Hi all.
I am new to the board, but not a new Explorer owner - recently aquired #3 - 1999 XLT 4.0 SOHC. A friend started experiencing the front engine rattle noise (timing chain tensioner grenading) and now its mine. Timing chains are still in place and truck runs, but noisy. I am considering replacing the front cam tensioner only to fix the problem. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jmedina827:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

asafley

Reaction score
City, State
Pikes Peak Region, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT - 4.0L SOHC
Well I have a '97 4x4 and my truck is still doing the chain rattle. I did the 00M12 Kit and the Rear Tensioner and it was a no go. BUT it did really quiet down the truck and it was worth it. I may have allowed the chain rattle for too long before taking action. When the truck warms up, the noise is hardly noticeably. I say do the front tensioner and maybe even do the rear one for some preventive maintenance.

jmedina827

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 4x4 XLT
Thanks, That will be the plan.

tayblak

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT 4.0 SOHC
does this rattling noise kick up when you are at idle?

2000StreetRod

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
remove the valve covers

I suggest that you remove the valve covers and determine if either timing chain guide assembly is broken. It won't be much more work since you'll already have the intake manifold removed. A 1999 probably has already had the hydraulic tensioners replaced. I doubt that replacing them will solve your problem.

SOHC V6 Timing Chain Inspection & Repair

jmedina827

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 4x4 XLT
I've replaced the front jackshaft tensioner,old one snapped and had to be removed from the oil pan. She sounds fine now, however has lost all fuel pressure at the rail. She starts fine with priming from starter fluid, now looks like ZI need to replace the electric fuel pump.