1999 explorer giving horrible engine problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 explorer giving horrible engine problems

Jacob lewallen

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer 4x4 4.0sohc
Hi guys I'm new here anyways I've got a 1999 explorer with the 4.0 sohc and after I got it it ran great for a couple days and then the cell came on had a p0340 code camshaft sensor circuit malfunction it still ran ok so the sensor itself I replaced now the thing runs bad stalls out has no power plus I'm getting bank 1 lean and bank 2 rich I unhooked the O2 sensor and it's running better but I still have the camshaft code dose anyone know how to test or fix that problem thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you rotate the engine to cyl #1 top dead center and/or use a special tool to align the camshaft sensor? I've never done this myself but best I can gather, it needs aligned correctly.

Did anything look wrong with the old sensor, maybe wiring or connector for it is bad instead of the sensor (if you did align it correctly)?

From everything I could find with the sohc motors there is no need to align the sensor it's a single bolt holding to and there is only one way to align it also how would you test the wiring

The alignment I was referring to was rotating the engine to top dead center on cylinder 1, not an adjustment to the sensor mount. Again I have not done this repair, could be wrong.

Testing a Two-Wire Sensor:

• If you have a two-wire, magnetic-type CMP sensor, set your multimeter to "AC volts."
  • Have an assistant turn the ignition key on without starting the engine.
  • Check for the presence of power flowing through the circuit. Touch one of your probes to ground (any metal part on the engine) and the other probe to each one of the sensor wires. If neither wire has current, there's a failure in the sensor's circuit.
  • Have your assistant crank or start the engine.
  • Touch one of your meter probes to either one of the sensor wires and the other probe to the other wire. Check your meter display and compare your reading to your manual specifications. In most cases, you'll see a fluctuating signal between 0.3 volts and 1 volt.
  • If there's no signal, you have a bad CMP sensor.
Symptoms of a Bad Camshaft Position Sensor

Thank you I'll try that tomorrow after work.

Back