1999 Explorer Grinds When Turning Left & Shakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer Grinds When Turning Left & Shakes

NovumOrganon

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer, 2 Door
Hey guys, so I have a 1999 Ford Explorer, and it makes a really loud grinding noise when I turn left, and shakes when I reach higher speeds over 55 MPH. I've been doing a little research, and thinking it may be the CV Joint/Axle. Think that might be the right diagnosis? If so, how would I know which one to replace, or should I just do both? Thanks in advance for all the help, and I hope everyone is having a great weekend. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2Wd. ?

Before you go to the trouble and expense of replacing cv joints, I'd inspect the wheel brgs and brakes. Hate to mention it, but could also be your transfer case binding. Rule of thumb determining if a cv joint was in need of replacing used to be that they made a "clicking" noise when turning. Only once have I ever had to replace a cv joint on any of the many front wheel drive vehicles I've owned while putting 150K+ miles on each...and, that was back in the mid-80's. Hard to believe at 100K miles yours would be shot...unless, the vehicle was abused.

Before you go to the trouble and expense of replacing cv joints, I'd inspect the wheel brgs and brakes. Hate to mention it, but could also be your transfer case binding. Rule of thumb determining if a cv joint was in need of replacing used to be that they made a "clicking" noise when turning. Only once have I ever had to replace a cv joint on any of the many front wheel drive vehicles I've owned while putting 150K+ miles on each...and, that was back in the mid-80's. Hard to believe at 100K miles yours would be shot...unless, the vehicle was abused.

Hey, thanks for the advise. I had another person say there may be a grinding noise coming from the brake shield. Think that might be an option as well? Also, thank you for the response! I appreciate your help!

Kinda hard to abuse a CV joint. Typically they fail early due to a cracked boot and dust intrusion. These cars are stating to age out now, where it’s not just about mileage. Especially with anything rubber/plastic.

A dust shield wouldn’t shake the car.

It should go without saying that you shouldn’t be driving this car anywhere. If you break a CV axle you could cause a very serious accident and kill yourself or someone else.

Back