1999 explorer locked out help!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 explorer locked out help!!!!

Isinned

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 sport
I am currently locked out of a 1999 ford explorer 2 door sport. The battery went completely dead, and i locked the doors. the remotes wont work, neither will the key pad, nor will the actual key if i try to put it in the door locks or the hatch lock. Obviously i have to get to the battery to replace it, but i am having trouble getting to the hood latch to open the hood. so i am looking to either:
1. unlock door and get into the cab so i get unlatch the hood, or
2. Unlatch the hood somehow without being in the cab so i can get to the battery.

Suggestions for either method are appreciated. thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get some powdered graphite & start working it into the door locks till one opens.

You need a long flexible metal coat hanger and a couple of wedges.

The top of the door will flex by pulling at the edge enuff to place a 2inch wedge into it. Once you get this in place use the hanger to go for the door handle with a hook shape at the end of the metal.

Worst case scenerio punch the lock cylinder and turn it with a flat head screw driver.

Hopefully the '99 is similar to the '96 and '98. The cable that unlatches the hood from the inside runs behind the top part of the grille. If you can get your hand on that cable housing (my '98 has a plastic insert... it would have to be removed or pushed in, I suppose), you can tug on it to release the hood latch. Then jump the Explorer and use the fob or keypad to unlock the doors when the battery gets enough charge.

Grab yourself a flat bar slim jim and manual release the lock or if you can afford it hire a locksmith to open the door for you. What I would do is try to use a coat hanger on the passenger side door that way if you screw something up its only the passenger door and not the drivers door.

Usually if you call your local police station, they can bring over a slim jim and open it for free.

Usually if you call your local police station, they can bring over a slim jim and open it for free.

Most agencies now not do that unless the vehicle is either running or there is a child or animal inside or you have a medical emergency like having medication that is crucial to your health is locked inside. Also a few agencies won't touch them if you have power locks or side airbags even though the airbags are in no close proximity to the lock mechanism.

grab a slim jim. slip it down into the door panel from underneath the window. give the slim jim a 45 degree bend with the bend at the five inch mark, teeth facing the lock and slice till the teeth grap onto the lock inside the door panel and pull up.

slim jim 101.

...or just call triple A.

i second that...call AAA, they will be in it in a min and get you jumped all 10 mins...

why doesnt the door unlock with the key again?

if you're locked out, why was your first idea to open a EF account?

His locks are probably corroded... a common issue. I have had issues with the locks on both a '96 and '98 Explorer. For the '98, I was able to free them up with some Break Away.

I'm telling you, if the latch setup on the '99 is like the '96 and '98, getting to that hood release cable would probably be one of the easiest ways to do it.

I find it odd that the key won't work in ANY lock.....When you use the key it's a mechanical process, not an electrical process, so it doesn't matter if the battery is good or not, the lock should open. I can see one lock getting siezed up, but all of 'em?????:scratch:

Spray into the key slot with PB Blaster to try and loosen them up if the locks are frozen up. Otherwise, call AAA or a locksmith to come open the vehicle, but be prepared to show proof of ownership to the vehicle.

All three of the locks on my parents '96 froze up. All three of the locks on my '98 were frozen when I bought it. It you live in the rust belt, it's very common. My neighbor has the locks on his mid-late 90's Jeep Wrangler freeze up, too, so it's not a problem that is isolated to Fords. Just a way of life up here. If you don't use your manual locks, they freeze up. I make it a habit to use mine at least once or twice a week- better to be safe than sorry.

Hey, was on the boards just now and found this post. I have been having lock issues lately. Drivers door lock won't turn and hatch lock will turn sometimes and passenger lock is fine. Did not know that it might be corrosion in the locks. I will probably spray WD40 in them later and give them a try and finish up with the graphite powder. I remember putting some in the locks quite a while back and it solved the problem but I had not been aware of the issues with the locks you guys mentioned. Thanks for the tip ! :chug:

You could also ask your friends if they have a lockout kit. You can purchase these on Ebay, or could a couple of years ago. Just don't get caught walking around with them. I bought some when I was a Cop and have them sitting in my trunk. I have used them about 50 times in the last 3 years saving family and friends Thousands of dollars.

I am not a fan of the "slim jim" it is always my last choice, I use the bendable copper hanger piece with wedges and it always works. I have seen WAY to many windows shatter or electric cables ripped with these things. In my own oppinion, I would not allow someone to use a slimjim on any car made after the 70's with electric locks. There is a reason the PD's that use these make you sign a damage liability waiver before they use them.

You can pop a lock with the wedge and hanger in 5mins easy.

Just got back from the explorer. It was the locks frozen. The graphite did the trick. Got the dead battery out and off to be charged and tested. Less than a year old so I suspect the alternator. Going to limp it home and check the alt. Thanks for all the great advice.

BTW.............
why doesnt the door unlock with the key again?

if you're locked out, why was your first idea to open a EF account?

My thought exactly. To answer your 2nd question, I'm not new to forums, just this one. I'm a vette guy, but keep the boys cars and trucks running, not so much as a hobby,but as a necessity.

Always find forum members eager to help. (No exception here) Seem like a great bunch of guys. Thanks again to all, probably be back.

Back