• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer needs a bit of help

ELOfanatic

Reaction score
City, State
Chambersburg, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
Greetings to all. I currently own a '99 Explorer that needs rear shocks. I have a friend who can do, and has done this on the Explorer on the right rear, but has run into a snag. The left rear shock is kinda hiding up behind the fuel canister rack/bracket, whatever you wanna call it, and it needs to come down for better access. Problem is it's so rusted, he's afraid he may have to break the bolts to get it down. In case the worst happens and I need a new bracket, what is the official name and are they easy to come by?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not easy to come by.
I'm pretty sure there were certain years that had a plastic bracket. Someone will chime in what years to look for.
A vehicle grave yard will be your best bet.

I'll keep that in mind. I may have to go junkyard crawling anyway to find used body mounts if they can't be repaired.

I've done this job 5 times on 3 different Explorers and never dropped that fuel vapor canister.

The access is a bit tight, but you should have enough access with open wrenches or those hollow-socket ratchets to get in there. Even if it means buying some wrenches, that's easier than finding a replacement canister bracket.

I've done this job 5 times on 3 different Explorers and never dropped that fuel vapor canister.

The access is a bit tight, but you should have enough access with open wrenches or those hollow-socket ratchets to get in there. Even if it means buying some wrenches, that's easier than finding a replacement canister bracket.
Right. Maybe I just need more Wd-40.

Regular WD-40 isn't a very good penetrating oil. Try WD-40's specific penetrating formula or PB Blaster.

Back