1999 Explorer Rear Door Doesn’t Open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer Rear Door Doesn’t Open

Arissett

Reaction score
City, State
Piscataway, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999, Explorer, XLT
So basically the door from the outside will not open by itself. The only way to open the door is to use both the inside and outside handles at the same time. Also if you pull the inside handle with all of your force a couple times the door will eventually open. A weird issue with the door is the truck itself doesn’t even recognize when the door is open. Lastly I’ve had the panel apart many times I took apart the other rear door to inspect anything that looked different and everything looked the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everything needs cleaned and lubed. The rods probably also need some slack removed.

Lube the hinge mechanism… one of my rear doors was impossible to open… Felt like I was going to break the interior handle trying to open it…

Lube the hinge mechanism… one of my rear doors was impossible to open… Felt like I was going to break the interior handle trying to open it…
Is the child lock on?

So basically the door from the outside will not open by itself. The only way to open the door is to use both the inside and outside handles at the same time. Also if you pull the inside handle with all of your force a couple times the door will eventually open. A weird issue with the door is the truck itself doesn’t even recognize when the door is open. Lastly I’ve had the panel apart many times I took apart the other rear door to inspect anything that looked different and everything looked the same.
Did you remove the latch? Inspect the latch , the door ajar switch is in the latch. What about the PVC sleeve on the strike?

Back