1999 Explorer SOHC Tensioner Update | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer SOHC Tensioner Update

knockaboutman

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 SOHC Limited
Just wondering if the price on the 00M12 and rear tensioner has gone up? Also, I am seeing some threads where people have said you need to buy the crush washers because they don't come with the 00M12 kit or the rear tensioner. Is this true?

This is what I am ordering. YL2Z-9E473-AA is $58.07 and the 7U3Z-6K254-A is $34.31

I have dropped the pan and it is clean. Looks like I am going to start with the tensioners and see if this reduces the "death rattle" on start up. I have already put Mobil 1 0w-30, BG MOA, PureOne Filter and the noise has gone down significantly. The temp here is -3F. Just FYI.

I'm not sure about the price, but the rear tensioner does not include the crush washer, at least mine didn't. The 00M12 kit did contain the crush washer.

So I will need to buy a crush washer for the rear only?

Also, what do the dealerships charge for labor for the 00M12 and rear tensioner replacement? How much is too much for labor? $200, $300, $1000?

You can get one for the front or rear as the washers are the same. As far as cost go, I can't comment on that as I did my replacement myself. These parts aren't too hard to replace, you can get all the info from this forum. If you have some mechanic ability, you can keep some of your hard earned in your pocket in exchange for a few hours work.

Back