1999 Explorer Sport 2WD - Brakes Shot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer Sport 2WD - Brakes Shot

240Z

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Technically not an emergency, but my Ex is currently out of commission and I need to get it back on the road ASAP. My front rotors are just about shot, the rears probably aren't doing to well themselves, thus I've decided to park it for a few days while I get new brakes on there. Anyone have any recommendations on a specific brand of rotor and pads to buy? Anything else I'll need to buy? Any tips? I'm planning on doing this in my driveway, my brother will be doing most of the work as he is more mechanically savvy than I am (and he owes me money ;) ) I appreciate any responses in advance, I really need to get this thing back on the road, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends on how much money you are willing to spend and what braking performance you want. I get mine from Ford, I just do everyday driving and some offroading. Google for what you are looking for.

Thanks, I've searched the site but hadn't found any mention of specific brands. Mine is used on-road only, its my daily driver. All I'm really looking for is something similar to the stock braking performance. I'm a broke college student on a relatively tight budget but I will not skimp out on brakes, thats one thing I don't want failing on me when I'm driving.

I have only had two sets of non Ford pads that I bought in town which were worth the trouble. Buy the original equipment Ford brake pads, they are very good. Buy a quart of good brake fluid, get the Valvoline $5 quart, not the cheap brands which are about $3 per quart. Bleed the whole system when the work is done, that's a source of improvement.

Be careful to not allow any air to get into the ABS pump, don't let the master cylinder run dry ever. The ABS pump can only be bled by a special electrical diagnostic tool.

If you can afford it, buy four new rotors, from a parts store like Autozone. The prices are usually very reasonable. Good luck,

Nice!! You started a 911 thread asking for what brand of brake rotors and pads to buy. Nice!!

Robb said:
Nice!! You started a 911 thread asking for what brand of brake rotors and pads to buy. Nice!!

:thumbsup: ;)

The "broke" comment keeps me from mentioning brands. The auto parts brands will be under $50 likely, while my EBC rotors were $75 each(spotfaced) and they have been great. Any really good brands will be mail order only, including better pad brands. Regards,

Robb said:

Hey man, its really nice not having a vehicle and having to take the bus or carpool to school, I'd say thats pretty 911. :thumbsup:

CDW6212R said:
The "broke" comment keeps me from mentioning brands. The auto parts brands will be under $50 likely, while my EBC rotors were $75 each(spotfaced) and they have been great. Any really good brands will be mail order only, including better pad brands. Regards,

I appreciate the help, like I said, I'm tight on money, but that won't stop me from putting quality brakes on my vehicle.

BTW, mods please move this post to the regular non-911 section of the board so people don't pad their post count by crying about someone's mistake. Thanks

I bought front rotors from AutoZone and they never worked. Went through 3 sets, and still got the ABS light. I finally got some from Draft after he removed his drilled rotors and have never had a problem. The AutoZones were cheap, but the ABS wouldn't work with them. that's no way to drive.......
Hopefully, it was jus the moronic AutoZones in Boston......
Karl

I buy raybestos brand , and they are available at most part houses , the price is less than Ford , and last just as well if not better , I worked at the stealership in my town , and ford did not manufacture their own pads or rotors , just be sure to have which ever brand you buy , checked for true , I have every one I buy turned to true. In handleing or something I've seen many that were warped .

ashleyroachclip said:
... just be sure to have which ever brand you buy , checked for true , I have every one I buy turned to true. In handleing or something I've seen many that were warped .

That's a good thought these days, with so many different sources for parts. There are many many good and bad parts, finding the best brake parts is very wise. I am a mail carrier, I have tried just about everything. I have learned where to buy the cheapest parts(doesn't affect performance), and where to spend top dollar for the best available.

I have never bought a bad rotor, from any where. I hope cases like that are very rare. Always buy the best possible brake fluid, pads, lining, hoses. You can be more selective in buying rotors, drums, hardware, rebuilt calipers, etc. The pads and fluid are the two most important parts of the brake system. Good luck all,

Thanks a lot guys, you've been a great help!

Back