1999 Explorer Sport. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer Sport.

My wife & I last weekend purchased a 1999 Explorer Sport which I wanted to get for a "spare" backup vehicle in case my 2000 Ranger or her 2008 Escape needed work that would lay it up for more then a weekend. The dealer was asking 1595 for it & we offered 1300 & we got it. It has only 81K miles, it has the 4.0 SOHC, auto, PW, PL, PM, Power Sunroof, & is bright red w/gray leather interior.Well now my wife has claimed it as here DD & make her 2008 Escape the spare vehicle since we had purchased a 1999 Explorer Sport new back in 99 when I was working at a ford dealer & we ran it up to 275K miles before selling it a couple years ago. (mistake on my part).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yesterday I picked up a set of cloth seats to replaced the leather seats. I installed the rear seats & removed the covers from the drivers side front seat so I can clean them without getting the foam cushion wet. I also started tackling the rust hole on the r/s rocker panel.

Here is the rust hole in the r/s rocker panel.
100_0903_zpswwjhrxei.jpg

I cut away almost all the rust, there is just a little more to remove from the inner rocker.
100_0904_zpsyzavbswm.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I got the seat bottoms back from the upholstery shop Thursday after they redid the side bolsters on both seat bottoms. Today I re-assembled the seats & installed them in the Sport.
100_0913_zpsw2rm1vyr.jpg

I also cut out the rest of the rotted section of the inner rocker panel, & made the patch panel.
100_0914_zpskklpd5n6.jpg

Hell, might have to employ you to do the rust repair on my rockers!
And the switch from leather to cloth - just personal preference for cloth?

Both my wife & I do not like leather seats, prefer cloth.

Today I welded in the the patch piece for the inner rocker panel & the replacement outer rocker panel on the r/s.
100_0915_zps21qonxdt.jpg

100_0916_zpsm4zdcfy5.jpg

Today I cut out the rusted section of the outer rocker panel, & cut out most of the rusted section of the inner rocker panel. I cut away what I did not need from the patch panel & will start welding them in tomorrow.

100_0919_zpsckzzdilp.jpg

Today after work I tacked in the last patch piece on the r/s rocker panel.

100_0921_zpsyrxrdxjf.jpg

Today I did a bunch more welds on the rocker patches & re-drilled the holes for the rocker panel moldings & the step bars. The weather is definitely getting cooler, not much longer will I be able to work out side.
100_0922_zpsrlu1ctqc.jpg

Finished welding in the patches & put a light coat of filler over the seams & primed it.

100_0923_zpsjgephy8u.jpg

Shot a couple coats of E4 red paint on the repaired area. Now I just have to re-install the rocker panel trim & the r/s step bar & then it is on to the l/s.

100_0924_zpswhmveado.jpg

The new rocker looks real good Mike. Pretty nice match on the paint too. Let me know when is a good time to drop mine off at your place...lol.

The new rocker looks real good Mike. Pretty nice match on the paint too. Let me know when is a good time to drop mine off at your place...lol.

Thanks. Spring time.

Today after work I installed the r/s rocker panel molding & the r/s step bar.

100_0925_zpslraimt7g.jpg

Today I fabbed the 2 patch pieces for the l/s inner rocker panel & welded them in place & shot them with some primer.

100_0928_zps9l0cotsi.jpg

Today I started welding in the main section of the replacement l/s rocker panel. Now I have to fab a piece for the l/s lower quarter panel.

100_0929_zpswyyszmt0.jpg

Today after work I did some more welding on the rocker panel. I also drilled all the holes for the rocker panel trim & the step bracket & shot it with some primer.

100_0930_zpssqtgtjjv.jpg

Today I was planning on working on the l/s lower quarter panel but the weather had other plans, slow steady drizzle most of today. At least it was not a complete waste of a day I fabbed the 2 pieces to patch the l/s lower quarter panel.

Today was a much better weather day so I spent a few hours starting to weld in the patch pieces for the l/s lower quarter panel & shot some primer on it.

100_0931_zpseiukp7yy.jpg

Nothing picture worthy today, just more welding & grinding welds.

Back