• Register Today It's free!

1999 explorer stereo help

corry_928

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4 X 4
I have a 99 explorer sport 4x4 and I trying to install an aftermarket head unit but I cant find the right wiring harness for it. Now I gotta cut the plugs and wire it straight in so the question I have is does any one know the wiring color chart because i counted 24 wires going into the stereo but the wiring diagrams i found didnt have more than 14 wires listed. There are two plugs going into my factory stereo one is about an inch by inch square and the other is about a inch by quarter inch rectangle. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 99 explorer sport 4x4 and I trying to install an aftermarket head unit but I cant find the right wiring harness for it. Now I gotta cut the plugs and wire it straight in so the question I have is does any one know the wiring color chart because i counted 24 wires going into the stereo but the wiring diagrams i found didnt have more than 14 wires listed. There are two plugs going into my factory stereo one is about an inch by inch square and the other is about a inch by quarter inch rectangle. Thanks

theres an audio visual section that can answer this queston. If it like my 98 x you need the wire harness with two parts to it and you may need to override the factory amp. Search the audio section for a better answer

Its a pain in the ass to do it that way, I suggest buying the harness saves you time and if you decide to sell it its a lot easy to slap the stock unit back in. And you will most likely have and external amp that will need bypassed or get the harness that supports it prob Metra Electronics Corp. -70-5603. but if you wanna really want to cut wires i saw a couple forum that show you the corresponding wire colors

thanks for the quick replys. I dont think I have a factory amp. And could you post the link to the wiring diagram you saw because i couldnt find it. again thanks

I had a similar situation when I installed my aftermarket system. I just tapped into the speaker wires after the amp. It really wasn't that hard, just had to know where to look :)

Metra 70-5700 Auto Stereo Wire Harness
1998 - 2001 Ford Lincoln Mazda Premium Radio Adapter -stripped wires on one end, Into Harness plugs on the other end.

Scucci

The harness is the best way to go, do a little deeper searching for it, just in case you ever need to remount the factory headunit.

If not, here's the pinout

1999 Ford Explorer Stereo Wiring
Constant 12V+ Light Green
Switched 12V+ Yellow/Black
Ground Black
Illumination Light Blue/Red
Dimmer n/a
Amplifier Remote Blue
Antenna Right Front
Front Speakers 5" x 7" Doors
Left Front (+) Orange/Light Green
Left Front (-) Light Blue/White
Right Front (+) Dark Green/Orange
Right Front (-) White/Light Green
Rear Speakers 5" x 7" Rear Doors
Left Rear (+) Gray/Light Blue
Left Rear (-) Tan/Yellow
Right Rear (+) Orange/Red
Right Rear (-) Brown/Pink

wire harness

there are more than one wire harness. When I bought my stereo online I was not sure if I had the premium audio or not so they sent me the harness for the premium audio and it did not fit. so I called the retailer and they sent me the right harness and worked out great for me then! Good luck!

Its a pain in the ass to do it that way, I suggest buying the harness saves you time and if you decide to sell it its a lot easy to slap the stock unit back in. And you will most likely have and external amp that will need bypassed or get the harness that supports it prob Metra Electronics Corp. -70-5603. but if you wanna really want to cut wires i saw a couple forum that show you the corresponding wire colors
Can you put a link for the 2 plug wiring code I dont want to do the harness I really would prefer to wire my explorer without the harness because I have had both harnesses before and still had problems and I've installed several for people and know I did mine correct but still have issues with dash lights. I had to install my cousins car without the harness so his stero would even power in

The harness is the best way to go, do a little deeper searching for it, just in case you ever need to remount the factory headunit.

Ground Black
Dimmer n/a
Amplifier Remote Blue
Antenna Right Front
Left Rear (-) Tan/Yellow
Do you happen to have the info for the other plug as wh

Ground Black
Dimmer n/a
Amplifier Remote Blue
Antenna Right Front
Left Rear (-) Tan/Yellow
Fo you happen to have the info for the other harness as well ?

Do you happen to have the info for the other plug as wh

Fo you happen to have the info for the other harness as well ?
Check the wiring diagrams linked in my sig, within which are files named "sound-systems-******.PDF" which show a few variations of the stereos and wiring.

Back