• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer Vin E Overheating

marife1

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLS
Ford Explorer SOHC Vin E. Will operate normally for days at a time. Will without warning overheat. Will idle for two hours without overheating. Replaced thermostat. Fan Clutch tests OK. Radiator flow OK. Water pump no leaks. No coolant consumtion. Hoses OK. My wife wants to sell it, but I love this Explorer. Please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it truly overheating? Or is the gauge just reading hot? Do you have an infrared temp gun you can throw in the car? Read the temp of the engine, head, etc as close to the temp sending unit as possible and see what it says. Listen for boiling going on inside the motor. Have your cap pressure checked. You checked everything but that. If it won't hold pressure, the thing will boil at 212 degrees and you're toast. It will overheat like crazy. 212 degrees in Florida summer heat with the a/c running, etc is not overheated at all. But it sure will be if the cap isn't good.

correct temp tstat? i usually replace the radiator cap when i replace the tstat.

did you flush the coolant when you changed the tstat?

make sure you worked all the air out of the system.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I replaced the thermostat (192) and cap, changed and flushed the radiador coolant. No air...I'm tending to think its the fan clutch even if it tests OK....

Thanks for your replly. Yes it iis overheating...RPM goes to 1300.. Tend to think that the fan clutch is the culprit even if it tests ok...

double check your radiator. get it up to operating temp and shut it off. feel around the fins of the radiator. all of it should be warm. if any spots are cool, then you have a blockage.

Does the overheating occur at low engine speed conditions or more at higher engine speeds?

Back