1999 Explorer XLT. Washer pump issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer XLT. Washer pump issue.

rwagner735

Reaction score
City, State
Boston MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Front washer would not work, rear OK. New pump, no better. New multiswitch, no better. Got aux relay box 2 layout (located on driver side near firewall). Layout showed a washer pump relay. Couldn't get continuity to pump from any aux relay in this box. Found out that there is an aux relay box 1 located under air intake. Can see from top. Has relays..front washer pump, rear washer pump, fog lamp, fog lamp isolation and high speed blower. Washer relays are side by side at rear of box. Front on passenger side and rear on drivers side. Took off air filter box to help reach relay box. Get cover off of box by slipping a thin screwdriver down the latch at the front end. Rear will probaly work but front easier to get at. Took the 2 relays out and checked them in the horn slot of aux relay box 2. Both were OK. Sprayed WD40 into sockets, front and rear washers now work fine. Lota work to find the problem to be a poor contact.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Thank you so much!! I have had this problem and could not find the relays. Now my washer fluid is working for both the front and back windshield.

I guess they change things around. In my layout on my '96 Explorer Sport it shows relay box 1 by the battery and relay box 2 under the air filter. Now I am really confused. All the relays work as does the pump. My positive wire to the pump is no good. I want to rewire it but I am having problems in to which relay I go to. Any help?

I had a similar issue this past winter. All of a sudden my washers just didn't work any more. I hooked the meter to the connector at the pump and it read 12v when I pressed the button.....so I bought a new pump. I installed it and still nothing. I then checked the voltage again and this time I had nothing when I pressed the button. I ended up replacing the relay under the airbox and everything worked perfect.

The relay must have been nearly dead because I still had voltage when there was no load, but when the pump was hooked up it was unable to flow the required current to run the pump. Just because the relay clicks, that doesn't mean it is working properly.

I should have just put voltage to the pump directly when I was diagnosing. It would have saved me some money.

Back