1999 Ford Explorer 4.0 Automatic Transmission, water in trans | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ford Explorer 4.0 Automatic Transmission, water in trans

Hossoneone

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
I am wondering the damaging affects of water entering a transmission from a flood situation...Mileage is around 180K..How to flush the entire system., transmission pan, torque converter and cooler lines.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No easy way to flush the system fully.

About the only DIY path is to disconnect the return line from the trans cooler, stick it in a bucket and start the engine. Pour fluid into the transmission about as fast as it comes out untill what comes out is clean and bright red.

Essentially the same thing as formal flushing systems do. One possible snag, some transmissions use a thermostat to route only hot fluid to the cooler and if so, can thwart the effort by bypassing the cooler lines.

Still, worth the effort, water in the fluid can easily kill the transmission.

Not sure of the 4.0, but the 5.0 with the 4R70W includes a drain plug on the torque converter. Makes it pretty doable to all but fully drain the transmission, converter and cooler. From there, you can change the filter and while open, add a drain plug to the trans pan. A couple drains and re-fills should get the contaminates out.

I am wondering the damaging affects of water entering a transmission from a flood situation...Mileage is around 180K..How to flush the entire system., transmission pan, torque converter and cooler lines.

Hi Hossoneone , to make it easier to pour fluid as fast as it comes out , don't do a quart at a time since it might come out faster than you can replace it , take and old 5 quarts jug or a clean gallon and filled it to almost the top and with a funnel go at it , this way you will have enough fluid :)

If you're going to replace the fluid.. I suggest Full synthetic trans fluid.

No drain plug on the 5R55E converter.

No drain plug on the 5R55E converter.

The reason why it's best to use the cooler lines and fill as you pump out the old fluid (w/engine running,) I can't see why the trans and TC wouldn't be part of a complete fluid circuit and flush 95% of the fluid.

Or take it to a tranny shop and do a trans "transfusion" where through the filler neck they pump some in a take some out systematically. Even still you can't physically see how thorough they are and that's presuming the mechanics know how to work the damn machine.

Back