• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ford Explorer 5.0 swaped

Johnwimber1

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Elsinore, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer xlt
So I have officially finished the 5.0 swap everything works but I’m having issues getting it started the motor ran fine before I pulled it out of the donor car it cranks with no issue but won’t fire up I don’t have any o2 sensors connected too the car could that be the issue? I would think it would start but just not run really well it sounds like the fuel pump is on so it is getting fuel I know it has spark is there anything I’m missing here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PATS?

Should run open loop without the O2S.

PATS?

Should run open loop without the O2S.
Sorry I’m not understanding what your saying
Basically everything is in the car except the exhaust it’s open manifolds I’m just trying too crank it too make sure everything is good and load it on a trailer since it’s being shipped too a different state

He's saying not having the 02's hooked up wont matter....the PCM will operate on pre-set parameters and ignore that it can't read them.
PATS = Passive Anti-Theft System ...in other words do you have any mismatching components during this swap related to the PATS system...hence it not allowing it to start due to not "passing" security in PATS system.

He's saying not having the 02's hooked up wont matter....the PCM will operate on pre-set parameters and ignore that it can't read them.
PATS = Passive Anti-Theft System ...in other words do you have any mismatching components during this swap related to the PATS system...hence it not allowing it to start due to not "passing" security in PATS system.
What’s everything that’s involved with the pats? I never changed anything interior wise still the original key too that car I only changed what I needed too do the swap

What’s everything that’s involved with the pats? I never changed anything interior wise still the original key too that car I only changed what I needed too do the swap
In other words everything is original too the car except the motor, trans motor harness and trans harness and the engine bay harness Itself including the fuse box and relays because the one that was in the car was jacked up could it be because of that?

I assume you swapped in a 5.0 PCM?

If so, that “new” PCM isn’t programmed to your current keys. The PATS system uses a transponder that reads the chip in your key, sends the code to the PCM. If the key and what is stored in the PCM don’t match? No start.

I’m not smart on how you program your old keys into a “new” PCM.

I assume you swapped in a 5.0 PCM?

If so, that “new” PCM isn’t programmed to your current keys. The PATS system uses a transponder that reads the chip in your key, sends the code to the PCM. If the key and what is stored in the PCM don’t match? No start.

I’m not smart on how you program your old keys into a “new” PCM.
I have the old pcm still would it work for the 5.0? I assumed it wouldn’t

This thread should be merged with the one below and left in the modified subforum:

from the donor truck assuming it was a explorer (if it wasnt, your going to have a problem) for electronics, you will need the pcm that is under the hood, the ignition tumbler, key, the plastic ring that goes around the tumbler (cant remember what its called at the moment)

911.jpg

1016.jpg

and the pats module behind the passengers air bag

345.jpg

254.jpg

there might be some more things you will need or do as well. i have a link in my signature of how i did my 5L swap.

Since his '99 is already set up for PATS, he can use his current keys/tumbler/PATS receiver as long as he imports the keys into the system using Forscan. He should just need the PCM and PATS module from the donor vehicle (that's how I imported my existing Ranger keys into the Explorer computer and PATS module).

Yeah, you can program the keys into the 5.0 PCM. I know that much...don’t go mixing and matching ignition parts. You don’t want different keys for the doors and ignition.

Just sayin' - another way to do this - I'm going to try and keep this short to try to keep it clear.

"PATS1" is the early system used in the 2nd Gen Explorers.

The PATS "chip" in the FORD ignition/door key.

It's located under a faintly outlined "door" at the end of the key plastic that you hold that has a hole in it for a keychain.

SO, if you take all the PATS related stuff out of your 5.0 donor vehicle (Pics in Post #10) , but want to continue to use the 4.0 Steering Column and Door Locks into, you need to pop the "chip/pill" out of all the 5.0 Keys you have and place them into all the 4.0 keys.

PATS Key.JPG

That is awesome. I had no idea the chip was removable

Same here. I'm going to have to take a closer look at my keys.

Update! I got a locksmith too come he re scanned the whole system and made a new key for me as well car runs great!! Super stoked thank you too everyone that helped on this Journey if anyone would like a whole rundown I did in order too do this swap with pictures let me know

The OP did get the engine started, and posted the results yesterday. He had three threads going about it, the issue was he only changed the PCM and still had a single key and the old PATS module. Mixing them doesn't work, so he had a locksmith come and erase the PATS module, and now the one key does work.

That is awesome. I had no idea the chip was removable

Same here. I'm going to have to take a closer look at my keys.

i knew the chip was there, didnt know you could pop them out.

Guys - here's the "accidental" background story.

I found out about 10 years ago when one day I pulled my keys out of my pocket, and I saw a gaping hole at the top of my key "plastic".

I was all "what the heck is this" and really had no idea what had occurred.

So I dug deep in my right hand pocket, and found the door & chip assembly...

And that's when it hit me - when your keys wear down (and they will wear down) there is no need to pay $50 to get a new key cut and programmed.

I went on Ebay, bought some reasonably priced keys that clearly showed in the pictures that they had the door on top.

Went down to the hardware store and got them cut, came home and swapped over the chips from my old keys - everything went A-OK.

For what it's worth, on my keys that compartment would need to be cut open. Maybe the OEM/strattec keys are different in the regard. I can definitely see where the module is though - the outline is visible through the plastic. It's a great tip

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I have officially finished the 5.0 swap everything works but I’m having issues getting it started the motor ran fine before I pulled it out of the donor car it cranks with no issue but won’t fire up I don’t have any o2 sensors connected too the car could that be the issue? I would think it would start but just not run really well it sounds like the fuel pump is on so it is getting fuel I know it has spark is there anything I’m missing here?
I don't know your exact situation but, I have a 96 with the 5.0. When I changed out the fuel pump, I had to turn the key on and the fuel pump would run for about 4-5 seconds and stop. I had to repeat this on off process multiple times until I heard it prime. I continued the process until I heard the pump noise change when the fuel started to dead head in the fuel rails. Then I tried to start it and it just fired right up. Hope this helps!

Back