1999 Ford Explorer 5.0 V8 Eddie Bauer - What Transmission? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ford Explorer 5.0 V8 Eddie Bauer - What Transmission?

mtd240

Reaction score
City, State
Olney, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
I am planning on changing out the transmission filter and doing a drain/fill of the transmission fluid. Would do a full flush, but the truck's got 185k miles on it, so I'll be changing the fluid nice and slow-like.

What transmission do I have (need to order the right filter kit)?
What is the best fluid to use?
How much fluid is usually in the pan?

Last two questions could probably be answered by searching, but I figured I'd toss 'em in since I'm posting a new thread anyway.

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AWD OR 2WD? if its awd you have a 4r70w tranny and the pan holds 5 quarts

and mecron v is recommended.

AWD OR 2WD? if its awd you have a 4r70w tranny and the pan holds 5 quarts

if it's a 5.0L V8 wouldn't it have the 4R70W regardless of it's AWD or 2WD? if it's AWD the difference would be the t-case has it's own oil supply, and the t-case calls for about 1.5 qts Dex/Mercon.

the trans pan does hold about 5 qts and Mercon V is recommended. if you also plan on draining the torque converter, it holds around an additional 7-8 qts.

if it's a 5.0L V8 wouldn't it have the 4R70W regardless of it's AWD or 2WD? if it's AWD the difference would be the t-case has it's own oil supply, and the t-case calls for about 1.5 qts Dex/Mercon.

the trans pan does hold about 5 qts and Mercon V is recommended. if you also plan on draining the torque converter, it holds around an additional 7-8 qts.

I thought the 2wd had a different transmission for some reason.. I could be wrong though

Either way, I've got AWD.

Thanks for the info - any other tips/advice/stuff I should look out for?

I had a similar thread a bit ago and was told to get a high quality filter and not cheap out there. are you just planning on dropping the pan draining the 5 qts it holds, replacing filter, and gasket then topping it off with 5 qts? that is what ill be doing once it warms up. and hopefully that will fix my trans issue.

Guess I should have searched better.

I am ordering a the Wix Filter/gasket kit on RockAuto. Just planned on dropping the pan, replacing the filter, and refilling with whatever was in there (5 quarts, from the sound of it).

if it's a 5.0L V8 wouldn't it have the 4R70W regardless of it's AWD or 2WD?

As usual, Koda is correct - my 2WD '97 EB also has the 4R70W.

There's a rubber grommet on the bottom of the bell housing.

Pull it, then bump the starter to get the torque converter rotated around so you can see its drain plug.

Undo that plug, and you can get the rest of the fluid out and do a complete change.

I think the total is 12 quarts when you do the pan and the torque converter.

Tranny pan drop of itself is a waste of time and fluid. Its a holdover from the days when your TC has a drain plug so you could change it all in one shot. Would you change your engine oil and put 3 quarts of the old oil back in? Of course not. Do a complete flush, then drop the pan and change the filter. A legit shop will do this as a matter of course.

Bill

Tranny pan drop of itself is a waste of time and fluid. Its a holdover from the days when your TC has a drain plug so you could change it all in one shot. Would you change your engine oil and put 3 quarts of the old oil back in? Of course not. Do a complete flush, then drop the pan and change the filter. A legit shop will do this as a matter of course.

Bill

The 4r70w has a plug for doing the TC, for the love of god dont flush a tranny with that many miles , unless you want more problems,

i have 2 trucks with around the same mileage as the OP. this spring i'm planning on just doing the pan and filter (i'll be using a WIX filter). i'm not doing this because i'm lazy or cheap, but because i'm afraid of what may happen if i change all the fluid. doing this often seems to lead to trans failure within a few weeks. why? the common wisdom is that on a high mileage vehicle, with unknown trans maintenance history, you could be removing worn clutch material with the old fluid (which might actually be helping the trans to not slip) and/or the new fluid, being highly detergent, can dislodge crud which may clog/block the new filter in a short period of time. i figure i don't want to do something that could lead me having to spend $2000+ on a truck that isn't worth much more than $3k. jmho.

Back