1999 Ford Explorer-Car won't go into Park. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ford Explorer-Car won't go into Park.

dandog

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I fixed my problem but wanted everyone to know that has this problem that they need to check on their floor mat and look for any gold colored hex screws that are sitting there. My car for some reason wouldn't go from Reverse to Park. It was as if each of the gears was moved over to the left. So Reverse was where Park was, Neutral where Reverse was, etc etc. So Park couldn't be engaged because it was not allowed by the steering column.

I had called my mechanic friend and he stated it would cost me 225 dollars to replace the cable. I was suspicious so looked on THIS forum and found the same answer of looking for the golden hex screw. I found it and called my mechanic. He told me that it was NOT going to fix the problem since it has nothing to do with the cable. I told him I'd call him back. I looked under the steering wheel and noticed the hex screws there and found the one that was missing. I replaced it (it still isn't firmly in place because I don't have a hex screw driver on me) and miracles of miracles, the car is now in Park. Needless to say that I won't ask my "friend" to try to fix my car anymore since now I don't trust him. THANK YOU EXPLORERFORUM.COM!

Pic of the missing screw location.

wzROmlN.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Individual Torx bits or sockets are usually stocked at hardware stores. If it's an auto parts store, expect to pay more for tools. ;)

I gather there is no way to know the size before I go, right?

Back