• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1999 Ford Explorer humming

bri888

Reaction score
City, State
Burbank, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Hi everyone!
I just got a 99 Ford Explorer. It has a humming sound. I know it must be the power steering but it hums when it is idling. Not sure what's happening.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Why do you know it must be the power steering? If it’s making the sound and you blip the throttle does it disappear?

8TZX

Reaction score
City, State
St Louis, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT AWD
I experienced humming on my '99 5.0L. It was the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. Easy to replace and not expensive.

EB4X

Reaction score
City, State
Orange county, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer 4X 4.0 ohv
Is fluid on low side, slow leak..... if so Lucas stop leak works great and lubricates system, stops squeals and rough spots in steering...buys time before having to replace pump. Not snake oil.

J_C

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
I'm thinking same as others, check steering fluid, check whether noise changes with engine RPM, try cleaning out IAC if it hasn't been done recently, and see if you can isolate source looking at pulleys, possibly pull the belt off to see if the noise stops so must be a belt driven component.

Don't run it long with belt off since the alternator won't be charging the battery. I'd even think about charging the battery beforehand, instead of running the engine to top it off, so the engine isn't hot while getting the belt off. Granted it should only take a minute running IF the noise is always there from the moment of startup.