1999 Ford Explorer Performance

se3256wF

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer

Hey Explorer fans, has anyone out there had success
installing performance camshafts in the 5.0 Explorer?
The performance shops have told me it won't work,
yet when I go to youtube there are videos of Explorers
that upgraded to a performance cam. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Doug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you cant really go to nuts with a cam on them. the stock valve springs wont take it. as well as depending how crazy your going you also have to make sure you have piston to valve clearance. also if you do change to a more aggressive cam, you would also need to get a tuner for it as well.
can you do it, yes, but you will also have to do a lot of other things as well

Ah go my rought and you can do what ever you want lol.

There are a bunch of MAF PCM friendly performance cams on the market and most all will work without a custom tune -- perhaps not perfectly but well enough if the cam is kept within reason.

Nearly all the major players in custom cams offer grinds to suit. Even old school cams like the Ford Racing E303 have been used successfully without a tune.

Initially, I think getting the 5.0 to breath better is more important than changing the cam. Mild porting of the heads and if using the original tubular exhaust manifolds, swapping to the later cast manifolds with a block off plug for the EGR would be a path to consider.

A different cam, or even simply moving to higher ratio rocker arms will also require better valve springs than original.

Still, for real gains, a more aggressive cam with matching valve springs, better breathing for the heads and exhaust with a custom tune are all going to have to be done. After that much better flowing heads become a path of necessity.

To paraphrase the old adage, "speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?"

Back