1999 Ford Explorer problems - help? Fixed..not fixed.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reaction score
City, State
Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer
Ughhh. I know it's old but can't afford anything else right now. My 1999 ford explorer has gone from 1 thing to the next past 3 weeks. Can someone help so at least i know what I'm looking to do? Been ripped off too many times. First, it kept dying and random starting. I replaced the battery and it didn't start til the next day. I didn't trust it but it did fine running short errands. Today, it started up fine but the 1 touch window didn't go down (drivers side) and switch had to be held down. Then, it worked. On the way home, i heard like cracking sounds, i think. (Hard to make out sound in heavy traffic) i then lost power steering and when i got home, smoke coming from under the hood. Waited an hour before opening but radiator didn't seem hot at all. Not having anything else, i put almost a gallon of plain water in. I saw dried small splashes of liquid on top of the radiator and used a white paper towel to see if i could detect a color instead of clear water splashes. I could not. It's starting, but I'm afraid to drive it anywhere to check the power steering. I may try to test in the driveway but it's short so IDK. Any suggestions? I dread just blindly taking it in for repairs since several times I've had needless work costing hundreds done and don't know any honest local mechanics. So lost without a vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to Explorerforum

is the fan belt still in place on the front of the engine? Any lights on in the dash?

It almost sounds like you lost a serpentine belt or there is an issue with the belt tensioner
To lose power steering while still running usually is a belt issue. If the belt is loose or missing it will cause overheating once off the highway, it will also cause the alternator to stop charging the battery and you SHOULD get some warning lights on your dash.

The serpentine belt was my guess too. Glad that is all it was & it is fixed.

Heck yeah! Thanks for coming back and posting the fix

Ugh..now it's random syarts again. Had to be towed. Left me stranded, now it's starting everytime but I'm scared to drive it and get stuck
Ughhh. I know it's old but can't afford anything else right now. My 1999 ford explorer has gone from 1 thing to the next past 3 weeks. Can someone help so at least i know what I'm looking to do? Been ripped off too many times. First, it kept dying and random starting. I replaced the battery and it didn't start til the next day. I didn't trust it but it did fine running short errands. Today, it started up fine but the 1 touch window didn't go down (drivers side) and switch had to be held down. Then, it worked. On the way home, i heard like cracking sounds, i think. (Hard to make out sound in heavy traffic) i then lost power steering and when i got home, smoke coming from under the hood. Waited an hour before opening but radiator didn't seem hot at all. Not having anything else, i put almost a gallon of plain water in. I saw dried small splashes of liquid on top of the radiator and used a white paper towel to see if i could detect a color instead of clear water splashes. I could not. It's starting, but I'm afraid to drive it anywhere to check the power steering. I may try to test in the driveway but it's short so IDK. Any suggestions? I dread just blindly taking it in for repairs since several times I've had needless work costing hundreds done and don't know any honest local mechanics. So lost without a vehicle.

It's probably not cool to cry in a forum full of mechanics right? It took me 3hrs to try and find a way to start a new thread with a new question, Finally came back here but it's been so long i forgot my question and parts store closed. Car left me stranded again. Had to be towed. I'm to the end of my rope. It's starting every single time but I'm outta tows so I've been stuck home. It's not making loud whiny noise. Not surging. Not losing power with stress. Fuel pump can. be heard from gas tank. Before being towed, it seemed to not be getting fuel and like something was clogged, but after being towed, not doing that. Maybe jarred loose from angle of car on tow truck? I smelled gas after turning it off today. Fuel filter has not been changed, nor relay. I've replaced fuel pump 3 times from running it less than quarter tank and i did do that before this started happening again. But would fuel pump not have any of those symptoms? I'm a new gramma..lol..can probably change the relay but nothing else. Any ideas so i don't get sold stuff i don't need? I'm lost and stuck. Randomly. It runs fine inbetween not starting and cold starts do seem to affect but not necessarily. Help?

Now when you say it's not starting do you mean the engine is turning over but does not start or that the engine does not turn over? I had a similar problem on a Honda Civic in where the engine would turn over and start and other times it was as if the battery was dead. Turned out to be the starter.

Wouldn't your shop mechanic have replaced the fuel filter at least once when replacing the fuel pump? He certainly should have. Besides, although it's not advised to let the tank get below 1/4 full, it's not necessarily going to kill your pump each and every time. If that were the case, I'd be on my umpteenth fuel pump instead of running on the original at 181K miles. Is there a pattern to the no-starts? Does it start fine when engine is cold...then random no-start when you go to restart it after a stop at the store for example?

Wouldn't your shop mechanic have replaced the fuel filter at least once when replacing the fuel pump? He certainly should have. Besides, although it's not advised to let the tank get below 1/4 full, it's not necessarily going to kill your pump each and every time. If that were the case, I'd be on my umpteenth fuel pump instead of running on the original at 181K miles. Is there a pattern to the no-starts? Does it start fine when engine is cold...then random no-start when you go to restart it after a stop at the store for example?
EXACTLY !!!!! THANK YOU. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG. I.don't trust that guy but was told he was good at the time and i don't know ANYTHING...but if he's putting a *new* fuel pump in it..i shouldn't have that much crud in it EVERY single time i go below a quarter tank right? It only ever takes once. I'm not even sure he changed it to be honest, and it's been a long time but i don't EVER remember hearing the word fuel filter, but IDK. I think that guy is shady as can be. He'd get some crazy nice HI$H DOLLAR cars for repair..and after closing..take his GF out in them. I didn't know it at the time. To me..somebody that unethical has a high potential to cheat me. Anyways, the temp DOESN'T seem to affect 1 way or another as far as it not starting. The cold start has more potential to not start and it's more likely to not start when cold but Monday was way hot that day and was driven maybe half hour to neighboring town, so not cold. Just wouldn't start after being turned off maybe half hour. Seemed like it wasn't getting gas at all but no matter how quickly I tried to give it gas the second it'd start up, it would go off too fast. I forgot to check the anti-theft light at the time. That thing is ALWAYS blinking like crazy but today was the only time I've checked when starting and it went solid then started. UNRELATED but..as to the integrity of this guy..last time he replaced fuel pump..i had just FILLED the tank and it died completely and was towed to his shop. Of course, he complained cuz they have to drop the tank to do the work. When i got it back..i had half tank, so...? Your thoughts on that? **** Oh...check engin light had been on for about a year. I had the serpentine belt replaced 2 weeks ago and the check engin light went out. I thought the mechanic turned it off but he didn't. It still hasn't gone back on. Engine is so quiet ALL THE TIME..that i think the car went out. No pings...whines...ABSOLUTELY mornin nothing..

Your mechanic sounds like a real tool. There is no way he should have swapped out 3 fuel pumps and continued to send you on your way without exploring other possible causes of the no-starts (btw...the primary reason for not wanting to run with less than a 1/4 tank of fuel is that the fuel helps keep the pump motor cool). Also, every fuel pump manufacturer that I'm aware of requires a new fuel filter be installed at the same time before they will honor their warranty...but, that's between your mechanic and his supplier as long as he hasn't been charging you for a new pump each time (bet he's been charging you for his labor each time though, huh?). Regardless, while it's certainly possible to have had a bad fuel pump, it's a pretty good bet that after 3 of them, we can rule out a fuel pump issue. I'm also going to assume your mechanic did install a new fuel filter during one of those installations and has confirmed you've got correct fuel pressure.

I'm curious about the check engine light. Did he mention whether he bothered to run a scan for engine trouble codes at any one of the times he had your Explorer in his shop...and, what he found? He sure as hell should have. As for the Anti-Theft light...the way it should work is the light continuously flashes about every 2 secs until you insert the key and turn it to the ON position at which time it will stay lit for 2-3 secs as it's recognizing your key's code before the light goes out. It will then allow the vehicle to start when key is turned to START position. Do you have more than one programmed key that you could try to see if it makes any difference?

One thing that can cause a crank/no-start is a bad crankshaft position sensor or it's electrical connector. Some on here have found that simply disconnecting the connector, cleaning the oily grime off it and plugging it back in will resolve the problem. This mounts on the front of the engine down low by the crankshaft pulley.

Another thought is a faulty Coolant Temp Sensor (mounts on top of your thermostat housing). Both of these sensors should have set a trouble code, however. That's why it's important to have someone do a scan to see if there are any codes stored (even if the Check Engine light is no longer lit). For a basic check, take it to your local auto parts store and ask if they will do a free scan for you. I know O'Reillys will do it in my area...although I have my own scan tool. Advance Auto and/or Autozone might, also.

Report back with some more specifics and we can go from there.

*** Mechanic sounds like real tool ***
I KNOW right? I did have someone else read the code, like 2 years ago. He told me to fill the tank, put a full bottle of fuel injector cleaner in , take it on the fwy and drive for like half hour. The car was okay ah the time, it was just the light that had come on. I FORGET what happened during that time, but i didn't do it. light stayed on, no real problems other than cold start difficulty. Oh wait..i take that back..on cold mornings, MANY times i would have to keep 1 foot on the gas and 1 on the brake when starting to get it moving right away or it'd keep turning off. That lasted a while but disappeared on its own..off and on..For some reason, check engin light went off when friend took it to smog check for me but then, went right back on. It's starting okay, kinda scared to drive on fwy rn it took 3-4 tries to get it to stay on and when i got out, i smelled gas. XLTrunner, will it still throw a code if engine light is off? Either way, I'll do it as soon as someone can follow me and come back here. Thank you so very much..

Yes...you can have a stored code/codes without the Check Engine light being on. Having it scanned at an auto parts store won't give you an in-depth analysis...but, it's a place to start.

I'm still a little confused with your description as to how the truck is behaving when you start it. Are you saying you have to quickly give it some gas once it starts to keep it from stalling? And, once you're underway to wherever you're going it is running just fine until the next time you try to restart it? Have you tried cycling the key from OFF to ON 2-3 times to build fuel pressure prior to trying to start the truck to see if that makes any difference?

Pulled this info off another thread. Pretty much reiterates what I've been suggesting...but, in a more organized step-by-step manner:

How to: - Ford Explorer Engine No Start Procedure

XLTrunner, sorry for late response. With my car problems, it's like everything in my life that can go wrong, is going wrong. I've had similar problems with the car and had the fuel pump replaced 3 times. (I should've read what i already wrote, sry if I repeat) it pretty much did what it's doing now, other than I couldn't start it at all anymore. It keeps starting this time and the fuel pump can be heard thru the gas tank. It starts randomly. It will run fine, including turning it off, doing shopping or whatever, start back up and be fine again. A little while later, it won't start at all. Next day, no start. 9 pm, starts. Last week, started up in the morning, took me to neighboring city for appointment, I come out, no start, so I was stuck a few hours til I had it towed. I haven't driven it but same thing in driveway, starts, no start. I couldn't be any broker, (is that a word?) so I'm really hoping to find out what's wrong before paying a tow and possibly getting ripped off. (Yup, had THAT happen several times) I know nothing about cars and it hasn't gotten the best of care so I'm trying to get a crash course in car problems for dummies right here. There are several things that could've caused this and a few unrelated at the same time. I'm just lost and being stuck with no vehicle is getting to me. The timeline is as follows: car has been fine. My kid gets into a legal issue so I retain an Attorney that does nothing and leaves me penniless, causing me to drive my car with under a quarter tank for a week. I KNOW not to do this with this car cuz this is what caused getting 3 fuel pumps but being totally broke left me no choice. At the same time, my daughter backs into my car hard enough to cause a significant dent..passenger side and next day I notice the door lock( passenger side) just hanging there so i just push it back in but since then, i randomly find it hanging again. I FINALLY am able to fill my tank. But now, I'm having hard starts but i assume it's from the car sitting too much. I should mention that the check engine light had been on about a year but the car was running fine and believe it or not, the light went out the day i got it smogged but went back on the next day. Weird, Right? Once the hard starts started, i started having problems. The car kept feeling like it was gonna die if i took my foot off the gas. I took it on the.freeway and it kept feeling like it was gonna die. It was terrifying. Night time, traffic flying and i felt like i was losing power. I was too afraid to cross the fwy to exit cuz i felt it was gonna die and traffic was going at least 80. I was finally able to exit and car died right there. It stalled every corner til it finally stopped and had to be towed. By this time, battery was dead. Auto zone said battery was dead. I'm not exactly sure what was said cuz a friend took it for me and also bought me a cheap little 6 mos battery. Once connected it still wouldn't start. Next day, started fine and drove fine, all week. Then, i run an errand, with the windows down cuz i didn't want any strain on the car. When it started, the 1 touch drivers side window didn't work at first so i didn't use the AC and i start hearing like a cracking sound, but traffic was loud so as I'm putting windows up to see where the sound is coming from, i start losing power, my brakes feel like they're failing and i loose power steering. I get it home and there's smoke coming from under the hood. I wait about half an hour to check but when i open the hood, the radiator is cold. The serpentine belt is broken tho. I get that replaced and a new radiator cap the next day. Car runs fine all week. No hard start. No stalling. Nothing. I go out 1 day, and car WON'T start. I keep trying at random times, nothing. 10pm, cat starts, so i drive it around locally, about half hour. I should say, i had also put injector cleaner in the tank when i filled it and had planned to fwy drive half hour but got too afraid it would die out on fwy so i never took it back on. For the past several weeks it would drive good engine so quiet, i kept thinking it died. Nope. All good. Then it starts again with the random not starting/starting. I'd run errands and not turn it off, but after starting/ turning off and starting i began turning it off at grocery store, wherever, and it would start up again. I kept filling the tank, but after each fill, it wouldn't start til next day, so i figured filing the tank was stirring up debris in the tank. That's when i took it to neighboring city. I had it off maybe half hour and it wouldn't start after. Afraid to flood it or design battery, I'd wait 15 minutes and try again. It acted like it wasn't getting gas. I had to have it towed. I've tried to figure it out. It's been sitting in the driveway, sometimes starting, sometimes not. I've had a couple people listen to the gas tank and fuel pump goes on. I tried to see if it was the anti-theft switch as it blinks rapidly day and nite and 1 time blinked rapidly with key turned but when i immediately re-tried, it went solid, then, off. I've considered fuel pump, but there's no high pitched whine or surging. I thought maybe the button that cuts off the fuel for an accident got triggered and stuck when my daughter hit the car but i have to remove the panel during the day. I've considered fuel pump relay but I can't find an understandable diagram that doesn't get blurry when i enlarge it. There's only #'s on the large relays and small fuses on the other side. I'm thinking maybe fuel filter, or perhaps fuel injector. Lastly, Bad crankshaft position sensor. Money is def an issue right now, but along with that, i am determined to find what it is myself. THIS is coming from a person who has never even put water or oil in my own vehicle, so I am challenged. My Son has a code reader but since my daughter has made it impossible to get to anything in my garage, tools and code reader are unobtainable. I REFUSE to even 1 more mechanic, pay hundreds and the problem still there. I don't know any trustworthy. Forgot to say, check engine light went out when the belt was changed and.mechanic said he didn't turn it off. It's STILL off but I thought those were in regards to smog emission issues, not belts. I want to change the relay myself, then buy the fuel filter and have a mechanic put it on. I'm trying to start with small inexpensive items and hope it doesn't seem fixed and leave me stranded. I'm out of tows. Sorry about the length of this, didn't want to omit anything that might jump out at you. I couldn't be in a worse place than i have been the past 3yrs in EVERY area of my life, so any thoughts you have on any of this would be more appreciated than I have words for. *** Oh..forgot to say...Im even wondering if that door lock constantly falling out could be.kicking on that button that stops fuel during an accident could be the culprit. Anything wrong with me just super.gluing it back in? I'm sure there's some kind of clip that broke, but without tools and know-how, super glue will work for me. What do u think?

Now when you say it's not starting do you mean the engine is turning over but does not start or that the engine does not turn over? I had a similar problem on a Honda Civic in where the engine would turn over and start and other times it was as if the battery was dead. Turned out to be the starter.

RASOUTH...yes. I just got thru writing a. very detailed novel, I guess somewhere down below. I'm just learning a bit how to work the site and read what is.posted to me. I tried to read the info on how things work, and once my finances aren't as bad as my car will have to pay for the ad-free version cuz all the pop up ads made reading that impossible. Anyways, yes-it is turning over, but not starting. Sometimes for hours, at times the following day starts right up. It seemed to be more of a.fuel issue to me, although tonite, neither. It just wouldn't kick on. I wrote all the details in my lengthy response to XLTrunner, so if you can stand reading all that, maybe something will pop out to one of you. I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. TY
rasouth, I guess the novel I wrote is up above..not below..thanx again

Coolant temp sensor test did you?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back