1999 ford explorer rear lift idea need advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 ford explorer rear lift idea need advice

jkufen

Reaction score
City, State
North Charleston
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 4x4
I am currently working on getting my 99 explorer 4x4 road worthy and then I will get it off road worthy :D. I was underneath it for this past week changing out rotors, brakes, dust shields, calipers, caliper bracket, parking brake springs and shoes, and shocks. Looking underneath the rear end of my explorer (4 door) I see that the leaf springs are underneath the rear axle. I know some buddies that have taken the leaf springs from over the axle to under to lower there trucks but I was curious if any have taken the leaf springs from under the axle to over. I am assuming all you would do would be flip the brackets? If anyone has any experience with this I'd be up for some advice. It looks like you could get a good 3" lift in the rear from doing that. Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lots of write-ups. i did mine on here. use stock everything in the rear becides axle perches.
search "My 2wd 1998 xlt lift spindles and SOA project" and minell pop up

hey read through your thread and your ex is awesome after the lift! Just some questions being mine is 4x4 would I have to change the spindles in the front? I am guessing I would because I have IFS and the cv axles wouldnt last with that much lift. Another question about the rear springs. I dont recall but the axle perches arent already on the ex's rear axle? I looked over the axle about a week ago and really dont remember everything that was on it because i was working on the brakes and not the suspension.

Also would you have to cut the fenders to run 35" tires or no? If you did I would be happy with 33"s just really dont want to cut the fenders if i can help it

lol ok well i have read where you cant use lift spindles on a 4x4 so let me see if there are any threads that have write ups on lifting 4x4 front ends

lol well after a little research i have determined there is no easy or cheap way to lift the front of my truck to match the huge lift the soa will give me. i guess ill just go with the tt and the shackles in the rear

Some guys have thrown around the idea of using a sloped body lift (3" blocks in front with reducing sizes down to 0" in the rear. Not sure how I feel about that one but another idea that's been thrown around.

You'd be amazed at how much difference the TT/Shackles(or add-a-leaf) will make to the truck. You could also do a body lift and fit I believe 33 on your ex. I fit 35s with that lift on mine but the ST wheel wells are wider than ex's.

Yeah ill probably end up with the TT and Shackles with a 31" tire. It'll keep me from having to worry too much about having to change gearing and itll save a little on the gas mileage. Plus 31"s are a cheap so it works for my budget :thumbsup: I just noticed it while I was underneath it and thought I'd ask. Thanks for the info!

Back