1999 Ford Ranger 4WD-- Fix or sell??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ford Ranger 4WD-- Fix or sell???

LesH

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
My brother has a 1999 Ford Ranger 4WD with the 6 ft. step side style bed, has 100000 miles on it, 6 cylinder 2.3 litre engine, automatic , air etc. Never wrecked, drives good.

Question is-- it has a leaking head gasket and the air blend door needs replacing.

Price on labor + parts-- replacing the head gaskets/ other intake gaskets + maybe machining the heads is towards $1500

Price on labor and parts on the air blend door is $650!!!! Wow!!! All labor just getting to the door--- I verified at several shops-- dealers and private shops.

Any opinions on keeping or selling???

Thanks!!!!!!!

Compare the repair cost to the price of a new truck. My 1998 Ranger has 256,000 miles on it, and it is still going strong.

Buy a Chiltons and do it yourself. Spend maybe $300 on the head gasket issue and the flapper thing. You can even screw it up a few times and still come out ahead.

1999 Ford Ranger 6 cylinders with 2.3 liter engine?? I would imagined the V6 have 3.0 liter and 4.0 liter only on their 4wd.

Back